Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: oiling board with wanlut oil, do i need to worry about patron allergies?

Well, I do check labels but I refuse to debate with you Dave. Your board is serving me too well and I plan on getting a couple more. I give you the win.

But...............I would like someone to point me to an article or study that showed that a person can get an allergic reaction based on a cutting board that was oiled with a certain food oil. A personal experience. You can even lie and make up a falsified story. Post a fake article. Anything will suffice.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Doom View Post
    Well, I do check labels but I refuse to debate with you Dave. Your board is serving me too well and I plan on getting a couple more. I give you the win.

But...............I would like someone to point me to an article or study that showed that a person can get an allergic reaction based on a cutting board that was oiled with a certain food oil. A personal experience. You can even lie and make up a falsified story. Post a fake article. Anything will suffice.
    As soon as you post an article stating how someone got diarrhea from eating food that was cut on a mineral oil treated board I'll drum up your story.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

^ made my right, lol
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    As soon as you post an article stating how someone got diarrhea from eating food that was cut on a mineral oil treated board I'll drum up your story.
    Sometimes people can confuse it with food poisoning. Ive seen it first hand.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    My post was simply my two cents worth based on what I have read from the USDA, internet and newspaper sources about people having reactions from nuts. That information abounds. But, don't think or even remotely insinuate that I would lie or make up a story just to prove my point. I won't! And if you think that I would demeans the discussion to a low point. "Nuff said!

Chef Doom, from my understanding, mineral oil acts physically as a laxative by coating your bowels in oil. It doesn't act chemically at all. It's just there for its slippery properties. There is no way anyone is going to get a lubricating dose of mineral oil from a cutting board, even if they tried to suck it out with a straw.

Sometimes people can confuse it with food poisoning. Ive seen it first hand.
    Unless it was actually food poisoning.. Just sayin.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Alas, some things will forever be an eternal mystery.

Andy, my advice would be to stop using it if you are afraid of getting sued. That would be the appropriate American response. If not, oil away.

And rattlesnake poison is only deadly if the snake bites you too long.
    i had to take go out of my way to view your post to read this, so it shouldn't be a surprise, but that, right there, is one of the dumbest things i've ever read, in my entire life.

Although I am a late comer to this thread, If you will read the summaries of the linked articles it should point anyone who is concerned in the correct direction. This is from the International Journal of dermatology.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23414152

Here is a threshold distribution pattern for several food related allergies:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23199599

However, in this article, the number tested specifically for Walnut Protein allergy was too low for sufficient statistical significance to determine a probable threshold dose. However, I have contacted the authors in hopes of shedding a little more light specifically on this topic.
    In my humble opinion...with the threshold range for nuts being between .26mg to 7.4mg....I would say use mineral oil.

As far as specific allergies and it's increased prevalence in recent years. The body of research suggests a combination of environmental factors and increased self reporting are the major culprits. The simplest explanation is that most people, especially in the US have developed a hyper-fixation on medicine/being healthy. This is then amplified by the mass media marketing by the "holistic" groups who push nothing but "organic" foods and products.
    Please do not misunderstand the above statement. Allergies are a real problem, but it is still being determined whether the increased prevalence of such allergies is due to statistical increase in sensitization or if it is simply due to more people actually choosing to be seen for treatment.

Hope this Helps,

Regards,
    Chris
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!