Quantcast
Another newbie looking for some advice - First "Real" Knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie looking for some advice - First "Real" Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    The Hiromoto is a great performer - if you're a good sharpener, watching the geometry. If you're just looking at the very edge, as it is common amongst EdgePRO victims, you're just asking for serious problems.
    Sharpening is nothing more than moving an original geometry towards the spine. So, thinning behind the edge is just a part of it.
    I've never experienced serious wedging issues with a Hiromoto, Of course, if you want to put a symmetric edge on a fundamentally asymmetric blade, you shouldn't complain about undesired side effects.
    Well, if you're directing the symmetric edge comment to me, maybe you should bring that up with Dave. He's the one who sharpened it.

Also, maybe there's a lot of variance between Hiromotos? Maybe Hiromotos out of the box are thick? (I've even had wedging with other knives that were asymmetric, symmetric, sharp, dull, thick behind the edge, thin behind the edge. Your simplistic answer is pure speculation.)

Even you've said that Hiromotos need work and thinning to bring out their potential. The OP specifically said he doesn't want to sharpen a lot. You think the AS is going to have better retention than the CarboNext (for example)?

We know you love Hiromotos, but have you ever compared a Hiromoto side by side or owned any other knives that the OP is considering?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Well, if you're directing the symmetric edge comment to me, maybe you should bring that up with Dave. He's the one who sharpened it.
    Let me reassure you, I didn't mean to involve you in any way! It just seems to me, a lot of wedging reports come from people who've ignored a blade's geometry. I gave the example of EdgePRO victims, What makes you think this was addressed to you, personally??

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Let me reassure you, I didn't mean to involve you in any way! It just seems to me, a lot of wedging reports come from people who've ignored a blade's geometry. I gave the example of EdgePRO victims, What makes you think this was addressed to you, personally??
    1. I'm the person who brought up how Hiromotos wedge
    2. No one else brought up wedging
    3. You previously brought up how the Hiromoto is asymmetric when I previously commented that the Hiromoto I had wedged
    4. You really wanted the Questionnaire to include something about asymmetry
    5. YOU REALLY LOVE HIROMOTOS
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

The OP mentioned a Hiromoto as his first choice Japanese blade, after a few Germans. IMHO the Hiromoto could be a good introduction to better knives. They do require a particular attention due to the abrupt thickening behind the edge. The same is not uncommon with European knives. Wedging will occur not so much because of thickness, but rather because of symmetry behind the edge. Therefore it's important to respect the blade's geometry.

Don't listen to any of these enablers and addicts here. I say get whichever Japanese knife you find the most appealing. It is the only way to learn. I wouldn't recommend any of the Tojiros myself, but whatever you get will be a great starting point. You say you don't want to have to sharpen that often, but things will probably change once you get more stones and more knives. AND YOU WILL GET MORE KNIVES! I would probably pick between the CarboNext and Fujiwara, but I suggest that you don't stress over the decision. Flip a coin.

Yes Benuser, your post was obviously in response to Michael.

And yes Michael you are being overly defensive. The real question is who owes who money????
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Doom View Post
    Don't listen to any of these enablers and addicts here. I say get whichever Japanese knife you find the most appealing.
    I think this is pretty good advice.

Unless you get a knife about which everyone says "don't buy this it is a terrible knife", the worst that can happen is that you may have a steeper learning curve.
    If you get something you find you really don't get along with, they seem to be remarkably easy to shift on the Buy/Sell forum for decent prices.

Regarding the FKH carbon, I was looking into getting a sujihiki from this line, but was put off by a lot of comments about the reactive steel that turns onions black and has a pretty bad smell. Maybe this would be even more of a problem for a gyuto? Again I have never used (or seen or smelt!) one, but the many comments were enough to warn me off.

Keep posting in this thread with your current thoughts and you will be sure to get ever more pertinent advice.

R

Well I got promoted yesterday so I don't think I'm going to worry about either the Tojiro DP or the Fujiwara FKH series so I guess I'm going to continue looking at the Suisin INOX, JCK CarboNext, Misono Swede, and the Hiromoto AS.

Congratulations! Since you got a promotion, celebrate with the Hiromoto AS. That's the knife you've been oogling, and if you didn't get it you'll think "what if."

Not sure about the Shapton stones though, I don't hear much about these.

check out the hiro g3 as well!

yeah check the g3 as well!