Quantcast
Polishing a shigefusa - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polishing a shigefusa

I wish I could find it, but I just don't have time to look right now, but Dr. Naka had also done a really good comparison of different methods of restoring the haze to a Shig. Certain polishing agents actually either removed the haze. I believe BKF was ok. He also tested three different stones as a comparison.

Towards the heel.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  12.1 KB

That's nothing compared with bieniek's Shig: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...mi-chefs-knife

Some descriptions are in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Well, I guess a stone seller would seek to push more stones, no? I use some sand paper and natural aoto slurry
    But have you considered the possibility that DeepCSweede may have the stone already? Because frankly not only Ohira Suita can do the job, many other stones can too.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    I wish I could find it, but I just don't have time to look right now, but Dr. Naka had also done a really good comparison of different methods of restoring the haze to a Shig. Certain polishing agents actually either removed the haze. I believe BKF was ok. He also tested three different stones as a comparison.
    speaking of, whatever happened to drnaka? he used to come by and post pretty frequently, but I haven't seen him on in quite some time

It is also important to use the sandpaper backed by something soft; I use felt, and work in only one direction. I lay the knife on the counter on a towel with the handle overhanging and put gently pressure with my chest (sitting down) so I can use two hands working from the heel to the tip. It sounds labor intensive but it goes quickly. No circles or back and forth, just heel to tip. I find that on single bevels, a soft muddy finger stone works best. I have used chips from the natural that Jon sells, or sold. The finger stones I got from Maxim are mostly hard and they have to be prepared very carefully to avoid scratches.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

I don't think you're really being fair with this statement. Regardless- the finish is up to you Turbo. Do you want those clouds? Or a mirror? Seems rather aesthetic to me.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

the patina doesn't cover up the scratches? that's one of the reasons I love carbon knives so much.

i use stones first (king 800 followed by finger stones), then wet/dry backed with felt. the results look pretty close to what i remember the original finish being like. work heel to tip only, with the sandpaper, and be careful to not catch the actual tip.

+ Reply to Thread