Quantcast
Polishing a shigefusa - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polishing a shigefusa

just a quick one, do the strokes need to be length of blade, or as long as they are in the same direction?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    just a quick one, do the strokes need to be length of blade, or as long as they are in the same direction?
    you really want them to be the full length of the blade, otherwise it looks inconsistent.

Not a shig, but was polishing some ODC, it found if I interrupted the stroke heel to tip, it looked like crap, even with some high micro mesh. The inconsistancys drove my AR personality crazy. Also, make sure you stay away from the edge. Use a marker to play safe.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I've stopped the strokes part of the way through to no great ill-effect, so I 'd say it's just how you pull off of the blade when doing so. But anyway, the cladding is forgiving and you can easily correct any errors. As for watching out for the edge, I'd just fix the kasumi first, and then finish the edge with whatever finishing stone you use, so long as you don't do other damage from polishing along the way.

Basically it's all pretty simple. I looked at DrNaka's stuff and he refers to Iizuka's 'secret' as to how exactly he does it, which sounds nice and mysterious and adds some mystique to the brand (Dr Naka used to sell them too). However, it's not rocket science.
    you want to stay well away from the edge with sandpaper because you can quickly ruin the geometry of the knife, especially if you have applied a very thin edge.

Well, I guess a stone seller would seek to push more stones, no? I use some sand paper and natural aoto slurry
    Well you could say that but these fingerstones are quite difficult to use and just posting them out costs more then the pieces itself.

I agree that theres no mystery about the whole polishing aspect, what amazes me about Iizuka though, is that they propably did 100 thousand blades and still have the love to polish every single one they make!

Whats most important? Imho time.
    Turbo you might be a turbo chef but for this job, get all of the sandpapers - from 200 to 800, get a piece of muslin cloth or felt, get some polishing compound [be it fingerstones but might be some mud from king 1k stone],cloths ,water and will, set up section, all in place beforehand. In other words prep your mise en place in advance. Then call it the day.

Next time youre up to the task allow 7 hours to do it, start to finish. Then evaluate blade maybe you should thin some before you put new sparkling finish on? Theres nothing worse than being dissapointed with the first cut when you just polished youre arse off.

Do that then, the technique was explained better than I could by others.
    I am not saying this job should take 7 hours you might be done after 2 but if you are under time pressure [worst pressure of them all] then you will cut corners and surely fuk it up. If one swipe takes 20 seconds then thats the way it is.

I really believe in what I written and it might sound silly but I like to prepare the assault-plan in my head before I start. Then its just to follow the plan, and have enough time to execute it!

I like what you written and thanks for the info everyone

Do I have to do the whole blade so it has an even finish or just the bottom 1/3rd or so.

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    Do I have to do the whole blade so it has an even finish or just the bottom 1/3rd or so.
    with sandpaper, doing the whole blade isn't really any more effort than doing the bottom, and you'll get more consistent results doing the whole thing.

But even 2? 1?
    With a good proper thinning? You have fever?

it takes me about half an hour to polish my knives up to the standard i'm okay with. most people who have seen them think they look fine.

+ Reply to Thread