The perfect profile and geometry for a 120mm?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all

I really need your help here.
My Girlfriend does not like my big knives (240 and up), she thinks they are to big (and she is a small girl 163cm).

When she makes food she seams to grap the smallest knives. The biggest she grabs is a 180 santoku.

I need to make her the perfect knife. I honestly believe she will find 120 the perfect length and she will like the octagon handle. So does anybody have a suggestion for a profile and geometry?

The knife will be made in 1084 and 15N20 ladder pattern. But what I need now is the perfect profile and geometry.

She will use it for:

Fruit
Vegetables
Fillets of chicken
Sausages
Small tasks in the kitchen
Cheese

I honestly think she gonna use it to get food out of cans and **** also. When she is done, she normally leaves it in the sink.

Yes I know its overkill for her. But to get my freedom to buy other knives she needs this one

Hahaha. I had this EXACT issue for my wife a couple months ago.
It's looming like we Gould just let her use her serviceable euro knives, but maybe your case will be different.
I'm a big fan of the Misono Swedish petty profile. It has a low tip And is nice and flat with a proper amount of rise into the tip.
Esthetically, I also like the sloping spine.
That with a wa handle would be a beauty!

I think similar to Sakai Yusuke will be very nice.
I have a 210 Suji from them that I use for petty and it works really well. It has very thin geometry and works great on anything I have tried it on, cutting meat, potatoes, onions, peppers etc.

I like the Heiji also oivind.

The Heiji is nice because it is more of a mini gyuto than a petty. Very similar to Watanabe's 150mm petty. Check that one out, too for ideas.

Because you included cheese as one of the items she'll be cutting you've nailed the profile with the Heiji. I've got a 150mm Ashi petty that I'd be hesitant about using on any cheeses that were considered very firm to hard because of torquing the blade.

I'm pretty sure he has one in cpm154 available right now.

Back