Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Few Other Things!

Quote Originally Posted by Beohbe View Post
    I just keep one of these in my kit:
    http://us.microplane.com/microplanec...ater.aspx.aspx

but I noticed they have a nice deal goin on if ya need a spice grater:
    http://us.microplane.com/microplanes...ctorydeal.aspx

rosle tongs are definitely nice, but I always seem to end up working in kitchens that are flush with tongs, so mine rarely leave my kit. Nice to have, though. And my thermo crapped out the other day, so I could use some suggestions in that department as well.

edit: my old thermometer was a cheap Taylor digital. Just checked out thermapens, seems kinda spendy. Are they worth droppin a hundo on?
    Yup. They frequently have sales, where you can score one for $60-80. Sign up for their emails.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I own two Thermapens, three if you count the one with the broken tip. (Don't drop it when its open) I've had occasion to use both the Maverick and CDN models, IMO both were cheap knock offs.

Thermoworks does not offer much discount to retailers so most don't carry them. They are revered in the BBQ/smoking community so some of those retailers do.

As mentioned above their mailing list offers periodic specials with discounted pricing, free shipping and refurb units.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Color me convinced. Just ordered a shiny new thermapen via the thermoworks website. Wish I could wait for a sale, but I have an immediate need for one now. I guess $96 isn't too too bad, considering I seem to buy a new digi every year. Maybe I'll buy a second for backup when they go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Beohbe View Post
    Color me convinced. Just ordered a shiny new thermapen via the thermoworks website. Wish I could wait for a sale, but I have an immediate need for one now. I guess $96 isn't too too bad, considering I seem to buy a new digi every year. Maybe I'll buy a second for backup when they go on sale.
    I've been thinking much the same myself.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I've been thinking much the same myself.
    I'm thinking of getting another one as well even though I still have my first Thermapen. I've had it for close to ten years.

It's so old, it's not even one of the splash-proof ones. Still, I've only had to change the batteries once, and have, at times, used it daily as a home cook.

Lately, I've been primarily using it for deep frying. The thing goes up to over 500 degrees so frying is no problem. I never use my candy thermometers anymore.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    If you're looking for a plating spoon Maxim does this one and it only costs about a tenner
    I bought one of these spoons, and while its cool, it's definitely more of a tasting spoon than plating spoon. It's pretty small, so unless you're doing only tasting menus, I'd also look for something bigger.

You'll love the thermapen.

Quote Originally Posted by cookinstuff View Post
    no name 6-8" non locking tongs (haven't tried rosle, can't get them here and don't want to order expensive locking tongs I haven't tried) I always break the locks off tongs anyway.
    I have rosle tongs in Toronto for sale if interested. Brand new still

If you're looking for a thermapen in the UK I noticed this. It's factory returns that they are selling a little cheaper than the new ones

Got the rosle tongs, been using them for about two weeks now. After that, I can't work without them. Would highly recommend them to anyone, even if they are a little pricey.

microplane, microscale, turbocafe milk frother (works wonders on purees and soups during service), various sized forceps (not allowed to use tongs unfortunately), joyce chen shears, various spoons (kunz and demitasse a must), bowl scrapes, rikon peelers, butchers twine that i keep on a spool that i cut out of a deli lid, and more that I can't recall at the moment..oh..knives too I guess