Quantcast
A Few Other Things!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: A Few Other Things!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    439

    A Few Other Things!

    So, I know we mostly spend our time obsessing over sharp, and abrasive things, but right now I'm looking for some other stuff.
    Namely, a pair of tongs, a probe, a grater, etc, all that 'other' stuff you carry in your kit.

    Tongs would be used for stirring things like risotto in a pan, and plating. Grater for zesting and parmesan. What else do you guys carry? Any recommendations for the best of these items to avoid me buying some rubbish that can't stand up to pro usage?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,956

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    439
    Those tongs look great.. but he doesn't say any branding?!

  4. #4
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,391
    I have heard that the Rosle tongs are supposed to be the best, I can't remember if they are the same as Rick's but I think they might be. You can get them here

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,627
    I'm not a pro, but I would recommend a Therampen for a probe (I'm assuming you're talking about a thermometer and not a remote probe/thermometer), and a Microplane for grating.

    I don't own a pair of Rosle locking tongs, but they do look really nice and they'll do less damage than my Edlund locking tongs that I have. (My Edlund tongs were cheap and take a beating.)
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147
    Yes, he said they're Rosle.

    http://www.rosleusa.com/Tongs-cat112.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member Chefdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Outside the Beltway
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I'm not a pro, but I would recommend a Therampen for a probe (I'm assuming you're talking about a thermometer and not a remote probe/thermometer), and a Microplane for grating.

    I don't own a pair of Rosle locking tongs, but they do look really nice and they'll do less damage than my Edlund locking tongs that I have. (My Edlund tongs were cheap and take a beating.)
    My assistant bought me a thermapen for Christmas, and it is awesome. From meats, to bread, to chocolate, it's hands down the best thermometer out there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    439
    I was thinking about a microplane for grating, anyone know which series would be the best? (http://us.microplane.com/microplanekitchenseries.aspx)

    I think I'll try out some Rosle tongs too. Maybe a thermapen too, that might have to wait though. What else do you guys carry in that 'useful stuff' pocket?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Beohbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    I was thinking about a microplane for grating, anyone know which series would be the best? (http://us.microplane.com/microplanekitchenseries.aspx)
    I just keep one of these in my kit:
    http://us.microplane.com/microplanec...ater.aspx.aspx

    but I noticed they have a nice deal goin on if ya need a spice grater:
    http://us.microplane.com/microplanes...ctorydeal.aspx

    rosle tongs are definitely nice, but I always seem to end up working in kitchens that are flush with tongs, so mine rarely leave my kit. Nice to have, though. And my thermo crapped out the other day, so I could use some suggestions in that department as well.

    edit: my old thermometer was a cheap Taylor digital. Just checked out thermapens, seems kinda spendy. Are they worth droppin a hundo on?

  10. #10
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    So, I know we mostly spend our time obsessing over sharp, and abrasive things, but right now I'm looking for some other stuff.
    Namely, a pair of tongs, a probe, a grater, etc, all that 'other' stuff you carry in your kit.

    Tongs would be used for stirring things like risotto in a pan, and plating. Grater for zesting and parmesan. What else do you guys carry? Any recommendations for the best of these items to avoid me buying some rubbish that can't stand up to pro usage?
    Rosle Locking Tongs. Perfection.
    http://www.amazon.com/R%C3%B6sle-129...+locking+tongs
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts