Homemade strops on the cheap.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Anti-Chrysler

Reaction score
I whipped up these 16" X 3" (the leather part) the other day for a grand total of $9, which is what the 48" X 4" oak board cost me at Home Despot. A friend of mine who does leather work gave me some blem leather for free, and I already owned a can of contact cement. Woo-hoo!

DSCF0575_zpsbeca7f11.jpg

Nice... I've yet to buy a strop. Always just made them. The last ones I made out of leather I glued to a marble window sill that I cut to size.
155841_170970022923677_2866490_n.jpg

k2d94m.jpg

Balsa wood - $3 (after cutting it i had 3 more pieces left)
Chromium Oxide - $3 (50g, will last a lifetime)
Pine base - free from local carpenter's shop

Works great.

My buddy just made me a balsa strip like that. Too easy and I think it works better than the felt ice been using for years.

i just heard about strops on balsa, always thought about strops being leather so I need to look in to this. get myself some compound and go to town. Otherwise I would use my 4k stone with light trailing strokes, but im so new I hardly even know how to do that lol. Time to make a trip to home depot :)

I picked up a 2x4x12" piece of balsa from hobby shop, flattened it, then loaded one side with chromium oxide. Works great, and if I screw up and cut into it I can just sand it smooth again.

Back