Quantcast
sg2 core, damascus san mai - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: sg2 core, damascus san mai

WOW
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I love R2/Sg2. Absolutely screaming sharp for just about ever. My Tanaka's are my longest lasting edges in my kit. Until I get my Marko or my Martell I have nothing that can even compare.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I have to say that R2 is quit a bit different to hone but once it has an edge on it I agree with Theory.

Awesome looking Knife Bill, nice work.

Shun S2's wouldn't be heat treated or made by Bill So I don't think there would be any issues similar to any night Shun makes. Don't think there could be any comparison at all Bill vs Shun LMFAO

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    First let say thank you all for the kind compliments on this knife. I have received several emails and Pm's about this knife and have to tell you all that I was able to procure this steel through the help and services of Dan at EE during his last trip to Japan and his connections there. He/we where able to get a small amount and may be able to get more. Since Daniel got the steel for me I agreed to sell these first knives made from this steel to him. All of you who inquired about this knife should contact him as they will be for sale on the EE website. Thanks all

PS there will be two of these knives the first a 225mm gyoto and the 255mm pictured.
    Last edited by Bill Burke; 04-22-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: PS

Gorgeous Bill! Outstanding on all levels...

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Thanks alot everyone for the kind words. So far this steel is working out very good. nice to forge and very good performance. I am getting some more of this and checking to see if I can get a steady supply of it.

Gorgeous knife, Bill! Love it!!!

Just curious Ė are they up on EE website yet? I canít seem to find your page there.

BTW, FWIW, my opinion of SG2 is changing. The only experience I have with it is in a Blazen 270 gyuto I got from EE. Itís a beautiful knife, and one of my favorites. However, Iím finding that the edge retention is not so good. I donítí really use the knife much, the GF uses it mainly. And she hardly uses it. She cuts turkey for the dog from whole roasted breast, she slicing a few veggies for her salads. Her knife skills are minimal, and she doesnít do any chopping, rock, etc. Only hammer grip rock-slicing. Maybe 6-7 times per week, only maybe 15-20 cuts at a time.

That knife will not stay sharp. Itís harder for me to sharpen it than the other knives I have, and I canít get it quite as sharp as white #2, AS or Yusukeís SS. But I can get it quite sharp. And it doesnítí take long before it looses that sharpness and settles into a fairly dull edge very quickly. It wonít shave, wonít push cut paper.

Just sharing my experiences. I really want to like SG2, but in my experiences itís not living up to my expectations. I hope you have better luck with it, as Iím sure you will. All the Best!!!
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Gorgeous knife, Bill! Love it!!!

Just curious Ė are they up on EE website yet? I canít seem to find your page there.

BTW, FWIW, my opinion of SG2 is changing. The only experience I have with it is in a Blazen 270 gyuto I got from EE. Itís a beautiful knife, and one of my favorites. However, Iím finding that the edge retention is not so good. I donítí really use the knife much, the GF uses it mainly. And she hardly uses it. She cuts turkey for the dog from whole roasted breast, she slicing a few veggies for her salads. Her knife skills are minimal, and she doesnít do any chopping, rock, etc. Only hammer grip rock-slicing. Maybe 6-7 times per week, only maybe 15-20 cuts at a time.

That knife will not stay sharp. Itís harder for me to sharpen it than the other knives I have, and I canít get it quite as sharp as white #2, AS or Yusukeís SS. But I can get it quite sharp. And it doesnítí take long before it looses that sharpness and settles into a fairly dull edge very quickly. It wonít shave, wonít push cut paper.

Just sharing my experiences. I really want to like SG2, but in my experiences itís not living up to my expectations. I hope you have better luck with it, as Iím sure you will. All the Best!!!
    M, these are not up on the EE site as yet. I will be a little bit surprised if they are not sold before they get posted. I plan on having a few of these at blade show the end of the month if anyone is going to be there.

Sorry to here of your problems with the blazen knife. I was able to get the heat treat info from the manufacture and then put my own pratices to work on it. This knife is extreamly easy to sharpen even at the high hardness that it is. I haven't tested it with a very fine polished edge on it just the course edge from an india stone. I have a few more that I'll do some more testing with and report here.

When and where is the blade show?