• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Gengetsu semi stainless 240mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal; I received this knife and never took it out of the bubble wrap. It has never been used and comes with the edge put on it when it left his shop in Venice. There are no pictures other than the ones Jon has up on his site.I think Jon is still out of stock on these. $360 via paypal, includes shipping and insurance

Details

Gengetsu is a new line from JKI. For quite some time, we have wanted to make a line like this... stainless clad carbon. After some testing, we finally got something we were happy with. These knives are a bit more strudy than some of the super thin knives we sell. However, they are still very thin behind the edge, not unlike our Kochi or Gesshin Heiji knives. The outsides of these knives are stainless and the inner core is a semi-stainless steel. They offer a great balance of ease of sharpening, corrosion resistance, and edge retention.

These knives come with burnt chestnut octagonal handles because they are some of my favorites... more dense than ho wood, a bit heavier, and they retain amazing grip when wet. I also happen to like the way they look. Gengetsu knives also come with ho wood sayas.

These knives are an exclusive to JKI and a collobaration between us and one of the very talented craftsmen we work with.

Measurements:

Handle Length- 141mm
Handle Height- 27.13mm
Handle Width- 22.79mm
Handle to Tip Length- 260mm
Heel to Tip Length- 241.5mm
Blade Height at Heel- 51mm
Width of Spine at Handle- 4.65mm
Width of Spine Above Heel- 3.67mm
Width of Spine at Middle- 2.25mm
Width of Spine about 1cm from the tip- 0.87mm
Blade Thickness at 1/2 way between the Spine and Edge- 2.16mm
Weight- 208g

Someone else please buy this! I picked up a stainless clad white #2 Gengetsu and it's a performant knife, and this is a great price for an unused knife.

Dear everyone who keeps putting up amazing knives on BST,

I hate you.

Love,
Tom

Dear everyone who keeps putting up amazing knives on BST,

I hate you.

Love,
Tom

:plus1:

And Pesky, what exactly do you have in the pipeline? Must be something very special!

What type of steel? I think there may be one or two people on this forum that have an interest is they types of steel good kitchen cutlery may be made from. But I may be wrong...

What type of steel? I think there may be one or two people on this forum that have an interest is they types of steel good kitchen cutlery may be made from. But I may be wrong...

Pesky doesn't list the steel because the guy who sells it doesn't either. It is a mystery, but it's great.

Is it this one? http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...su-240mm-stainless-clad-white-2-wa-gyuto.html

If so, it's White #2 clad in stainless. El Pescador, if that's correct, you might want to edit the title of your thread. People might be misled by the term "semi-stainless," which is different.

No, it's not the knife you link to. As stated in the description, "The outsides of these knives are stainless and the inner core is a semi-stainless steel."

Here's the proper link: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/gengetsu/gengetsu-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

A great deal, and if I didn't already have a Gesshin Heiji ...

Back