Wanna Swap?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrud

Founding Member
Reaction score
So another thread got me thinking. There are a bunch of knives out there that we all want to try and play with but not necessarily purchase. So I wanted to see if maybe there were people that might want to do some one on one swaps to test and play with knives. Obviously this takes a big level of trust and I would say be done more privately not to cause issues on the forum, legal or in other ways. But if anyone is interested specifically people who I have had past dealings with or known for a while, or have the word of people like that feel free to pt me.

Always love to play with new steel and help other members out as well.

This is something I would probably be interested in doing. Being that there is a lot out there that I want/cant afford/cant justify buying that I would absolutely love to try out. Also, I think there is a certain level of trust between many members of this forum that is rare on the internet.

i've done this before but only with people i knew to a certain extent....i have found knife people r some of the most reliable people out there.....beware of the occasional ahole though....ryan

I agree with you guys on that. We have a pretty cool group of people. I know there are plenty of knives I would love to try out for a week but maybe not purchase right off the bat. I would love to try out some other stuff especially a honyaki among other knives.

I'd be willing to send out my 270mm Misono carbon gyuto to anyone interested in playing around with one. It's my work knife and my "beater," so I'm not too worried about it getting hurt.

yeah, mattrud, send me that kramer and ill get this shun santoku out to you real quick!

I have thought of this before as well, but I havent been on these forums as long as some, and haven't met anyone in person before, so I wasn't sure if I should suggest it. I was going to float it at ECG after meeting some of you in person.

anyway, great idea, thanks for bringing it up and getting the ball rolling.

:jumpy:HAHAHAHA, sure I will send you the Kramer ASAP. Well it will be at ECG with me so anyone will get a chance to check it out there. But I would probably be willing to send out most any of my knives outside of the kramer depending on the person. anyone can feel free to pt me with swap ideas.

Have you been reading my PTs, matt? Haha
It's definitely a cool idea, and could allow us to try out the knives we really want to give a once over, without the time constraints of a passaround.

I'll be bringing a couple knives to ECG I could live without for a while.

I really dislike that you guys are all over in the US of A, while I'm here in Singapore. Anyone think about relocating?

I really dislike that you guys are all over in the US of A, while I'm here in Singapore. Anyone think about relocating?

+1 haha I'm in Singapore too. Maybe we should plan a trip to the US one day haha.

I'd definitely be down with doing this, though I'm not sure I have many knives people would be interested in. Adam still has my baby waiting for a handle...

If anyone is curious about a Kamagata usuba or mukimono shoot me a PM.

The only blade I really want to try is a Bill Burke,I have a DT custom if someone has a Burke to swap.

It's weird how I'm not that interested in a Burke. I'd like to see one but it's not on my list. It should be but it's not. Not sure what that's about?

Might be the western handles

if it was not for all the other new makers havig passaroundds i might be pushed intyo a passer around blade too

It's weird how I'm not that interested in a Burke. I'd like to see one but it's not on my list. It should be but it's not. Not sure what that's about?

Might be the western handles

Don't your Raders have western handles?

And Butch, just because there are some passarounds going on, doesn't mean you can't join in on the fun!

Yes they do. The only one I've purchased since I converted was the slicer. Still used to a western slicer. Old habits are hard to break.

One thing I've come to realize about western handles is the weight. As I pay attention to what I'm doing, I often find myself using a "spider" grip. Forefinger supporting the machi, thumb oppossed supporting the spine and the other fingers, using the tips only on the bottom of the handle. A very gentle grip. Obviously much different than my "hammer" and hybrid pinch. It's one of the reasons I don't put much emphasis on the quality of some Wa handles.

BTW, I'm looking forward to Rader's Wa.

On a side note:I just confiscated my wife's 5 inch Rader santoku. It has serious edge potential. (thin and 52100) And yes, it's a Western.

This sounds like something I would be down for sure for as well... and the thread is making me more excited for ECG :)

Hey Salty,
Heiji for ????
Or anybody really,
Heiji for ????

i'd be up for something like this... i might have to pick up some fun new toys first though ;)

I have this weird phobia about shipping. It damn near takes an act of congress for me to pack and ship something so I won't be exchanging knives. However I am fine with lending a few out.

Not much excitement in my knife world lately.

I plan to bring:
Mizuno Honyaki (white and blue 240s)
Masamoto honyaki suji (270)
I'd like to bring the Masamoto honyaki gyuto but I'm going to have to have it back rather quickly.

I could bring a couple more if someone has a request.

I could bring a couple more if someone has a request.

Do you have a Fowler and an Ealy? I can't keep track. I think Delbert will be bringing quite a selection, but if you have a Fowler to bring I would be interested in seeing that. Not to swap, just to check out.

2 Fowlers. I could bring them.

If you have room, if you don't it isn't a problem. Also, is your vertical tomato video no longer on youtube? I know you pulled some vids when the sh't at KF happened. You should upload that one again, or shoot a new one in HD.

I am going to be really pissed if I miss the ECG!!!! I have been dieing to see your honyaki knives Salty!

I'd be down with this too. I started getting more active right before the ITK meltdown and this place stared, but I know a few regulars if anyone wanted references.
Given and interesting enough swap, I'd be willing to loan pretty much anything:
270mm Gyutos:
-Shige kitaeji w/ Marko handle
-Kikuichi TKC
-Rader custom damascus (pending completion)

Cleavers:
-DT "Hoss" gen1 ITK
-CCK 1303
-Shun Ken Onion "wacker"

Petty:
-Haslinger (repaired tip, kinda honiseki shaped)
-Shun meiji Kramer

Paring:
-Shun classic
-Blazen (almost small petty sized)

Other:
-shun elite santoku
-shun Michel Bras slicer
-Tojiro CKTG/ITK bread
-Tojiro carbon nakiri
-Shige custom double bevel Usaba (from RRLOVER)

there's not much that DOESN'T interest me at least enough to play with for a couple weeks so, as long as the trade offer is from a responsible and reputable owner with a knife/knives of similar value I'm pretty open.

hey Guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Its sound like a very nice idea.

Latest posts

Back