Quantcast
A Fools Experiment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Fools Experiment

A Fools Experiment

I have been collecting hematite iron ore from the place that I call my home for the past year. I finally have plucked up the determination to start down the road to making a child's dream into an adult reality. This is a WIP that will take a very long time. I have much to learn from others as well as from my own mistakes. Please bear with me on this because through the whole I will share all that I learn.

Here is the start:

p

Any and all feedback/input is more than welcome. I hope you enjoy this very long journey!
    Do not tell me I can't, let me succeed or fail. Even a failure is a small success.

Wow, smelt away Heath! I'll be watching your adventure and hoping for your success.

Cool, and if you'd like to add a running commentary for the less knowledgeable that would be fine too.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Cool, and if you'd like to add a running commentary for the less knowledgeable that would be fine too.
    I am newer to this than you, but here we go;
    This is specular hematite from the Marquette range of the upper peninsula of Michigan. I lived within a 15 to30 minute drive from five different mines that the ores ha e been collected from. From all that I have researched and that I know, this is some of the best iron ore available dating back to the 1800's.
    The total ore weight at this date of post is 156.34 lbs. I do have more coming that will increase the mass before I will actually start smelting it. I am very curious to see what the final yield will be?!
    Do not tell me I can't, let me succeed or fail. Even a failure is a small success.

about 4 ounces.lol
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Tamahagane HO! Get to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HansRudigerMime.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	14440
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Besch View Post
    I am newer to this than you, but here we go;
    This is specular hematite from the Marquette range of the upper peninsula of Michigan. I lived within a 15 to30 minute drive from five different mines that the ores ha e been collected from. From all that I have researched and that I know, this is some of the best iron ore available dating back to the 1800's.
    The total ore weight at this date of post is 156.34 lbs. I do have more coming that will increase the mass before I will actually start smelting it. I am very curious to see what the final yield will be?!
    Traditional Tatara produces a few hundred kilos of Tamahagane with varying quality out of ~10 ton smelt. But their process is not too efficient, you will have a lot more control over what is going on so the yeld could be high. Walter Sorrells has a video of making tamahagane on you tube., that you may like.

Heath, this could turn out to be really cool! While I was visiting Randy, a guy came by showing off some Tamahagane he just made. To me it looked like a lump of semi-sparkly coal and Wunderbar. To Randy, it looked like something that might make a great knife, once Jr. had gotten to it. To Jr, it looked like Tamahagane. Haha. I wonder if the source was the same. Hmmm.

I'm excited to see what comes of this.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks for sharing this Heath. Posts like this are a big reason I've become so fond of this forum.

Any idea the percentage of iron in this ore?