Looking for workhorse, thin behind the edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I've got a a 210 mm laser gyuto (Konosuke) and I love it. However, for my new 240 mm gyuto I really look for a workhorse: sturdy. But I'd like it to cut like a laser. That means it should be very thin behind the edge.

What would you guys recommend? Could you split your recommendations into
- stainless knife
- carbon knife

since I'm not sure which I'l choose.

I don't care much for wa handles or yo handles. Other info: right handed, home cook (but a very serious one). I have experience with top knives (Konosuke, Takeda, the knife brand that should not be mentioned here).

Thanks!

Workhorse but thin? Blazen is a good one. The PM steel craze of a few years back seems to have faded, so they don't get talked about much. Very solid. F&F are top notch. Holds an edge for a long time. Great geometry. Koki has them at JCK and Epicurean Edge has them.

How about a Heiji? I have a carbon gyuto and it fits your description. Semi-Stainless should be equally as good too.

Gengetsu semi-stainless would be my suggestion, too. i have two Heijis, and a third on the way, but they don't cut like lasers (they cut extremely well, in many ways better than the lasers i've owned, but it's different, and takes more practice to get the best out of).

Back