Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wa laser to try

Wa laser to try

Hi

My taste is towards thicker blades, I now have a nice collection of these.

I would to get a super sharp laser 240 Gyuto preferably with wa handle in iichi, ebony or a darker wood I hate HO wood. This is really just experiment and have a contrast, steel is oen but i don't want to go mad cost wise like to keep it to $2-300

Any suggestions please guys

Alan

Sakai yusuke!

That's what I would recommend. They do Iichi handles which might fit the bill for you. You could also get something like a Ginga from Jon and get it rehandled by him

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Hi

My taste is towards thicker blades, I now have a nice collection of these.

I would to get a super sharp laser 240 Gyuto preferably with wa handle in iichi, ebony or a darker wood I hate HO wood. This is really just experiment and have a contrast, steel is oen but i don't want to go mad cost wise like to keep it to $2-300

Any suggestions please guys

Alan
    Sakai Yusuke at bluewayjapan is the definition of a laser and costs $216 for swedish stainless at 61 HRC (steel is most likely 13c26 (Sandvik equivalent of aeb-l)) or $206 for white #2 steel. An Ichii handle is a $10 upgrade and an ebony handle a $70 upgrade. Can specify ferrule colour too. There is a white steel ebony listed at the moment, otherwise you'll have to contact Keiichi and be prepared to wait a while. Profile is classic Sakai (think Tadatsuna/Konosuke/Ashi) but flatter, KS-profiled knives have been made/are in the works.

Could you pm the link for the ebony one please, looked on fleabay, not sure where it was for sale

Another option would be the $255 rosewood-handled "Hagane" wa gyuto by Yoshihiro cutlery. These are thinner than the molybdenum knives, reputedly white #1 steel (they offer blue #1 monosteel gyutos, so this seems reasonable). 240 from heel to tip instead of 240 handle to tip like the Sakai, if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Could you pm the link for the ebony one please, looked on fleabay, not sure where it was for sale
    serch Item number 380446260247
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Konosuke with ebony handle? Or get a ginga rehandled by Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    serch Item number 380446260247

That's a "Buy It Now" which is OK to post links to....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...-/380446260247

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Sakai yusuke!
    +1 blueway has 270 white 2 gyutos with both ebony and iichi handles in stock. Was looking at them today actually. Must resist....