Wa laser to try

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

My taste is towards thicker blades, I now have a nice collection of these.

I would to get a super sharp laser 240 Gyuto preferably with wa handle in iichi, ebony or a darker wood I hate HO wood. This is really just experiment and have a contrast, steel is oen but i don't want to go mad cost wise like to keep it to $2-300

Any suggestions please guys

Alan

That's what I would recommend. They do Iichi handles which might fit the bill for you. You could also get something like a Ginga from Jon and get it rehandled by him

Hi

My taste is towards thicker blades, I now have a nice collection of these.

I would to get a super sharp laser 240 Gyuto preferably with wa handle in iichi, ebony or a darker wood I hate HO wood. This is really just experiment and have a contrast, steel is oen but i don't want to go mad cost wise like to keep it to $2-300

Any suggestions please guys

Alan

Sakai Yusuke at bluewayjapan is the definition of a laser and costs $216 for swedish stainless at 61 HRC (steel is most likely 13c26 (Sandvik equivalent of aeb-l)) or $206 for white #2 steel. An Ichii handle is a $10 upgrade and an ebony handle a $70 upgrade. Can specify ferrule colour too. There is a white steel ebony listed at the moment, otherwise you'll have to contact Keiichi and be prepared to wait a while. Profile is classic Sakai (think Tadatsuna/Konosuke/Ashi) but flatter, KS-profiled knives have been made/are in the works.

Could you pm the link for the ebony one please, looked on fleabay, not sure where it was for sale

Another option would be the $255 rosewood-handled "Hagane" wa gyuto by Yoshihiro cutlery. These are thinner than the molybdenum knives, reputedly white #1 steel (they offer blue #1 monosteel gyutos, so this seems reasonable). 240 from heel to tip instead of 240 handle to tip like the Sakai, if that matters.

Konosuke with ebony handle? Or get a ginga rehandled by Jon.

Those aren't lasers, JC. They are middle of the road thickness. For stainless I'd go with Suisin inox honyaki although it's pricey, and especially so these days. Sakai Yusuke would be a good choice but I'd probably go with Gesshin Ginga instead.

Those aren't lasers, JC. They are middle of the road thickness. For stainless I'd go with Suisin inox honyaki although it's pricey, and especially so these days. Sakai Yusuke would be a good choice but I'd probably go with Gesshin Ginga instead.

Ehh, laser-ish. I guess that just goes to show I'm in the same boat as the OP and what I prefer. They do come with ebony handles though!

Yeah. Over time, I've tended toward the somewhat heftier stuff, too.

I would go for a Tadatsuna. They used to be very popular...I'm not sure what happened. Exceptional quality, very thin and light. better handles than any other laser in its price range. Very nice sayas too.

I would go for a Tadatsuna. They used to be very popular...I'm not sure what happened. Exceptional quality, very thin and light. better handles than any other laser in its price range. Very nice sayas too.

My guess would be at ~$100 more than a Yusuke/Ginga/Konosuke in the same class they are not so competitive price wise. Also they seem relatively rare (only Aframes carries them?). I remember some discussion about their website disappearing recently.

G3 at 59-60 may not be the most fashionable steel either, with the other makers pushing their offerings to 61 RC.

i considered getting a top flight laser, but i have two that are nearly laserish and really don't care for how thin they are. sure they cut great but it 'feel's off to me. i like a medium thickness blade, 2.5mmish. but if i were to go down that path, i think i'd most be interested in tadatsuna inox.

Don was very kind and sent me his 240 Sakai to try.

The knife is extremely light and thin, I must admit to being blown away By the quality of fit and finish, although the blade is nowhere near as good the handle and ferrule are much better finished than the $600 Gesshin Hide I got from Jon. if your on the fence in any way about the quality of a Sakai knife then I would suggest no worries at all.

In terms of the blade is s very well finished with polished choir and spine, edge is very sharp out of box. It cuts well but I've not had enough time to really compare to my favorite 240 which is the Gesshin Hide. The Hide is not extremely sharp but cuts great and the haze finish really prevents sticking. I need to do some more cooking to get a true feel. My initial summary is that it is a great knife with exceptional quality for the price but I still think its to light but will need to play more o confirm.

Alan

Back