Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best cheap knives ever??

Best cheap knives ever??

I, like many people I think, recommend the Victorinox brand when somebody wants the best value knife for the least money, and, (like most of us) think sets are generally a joke - but I was recently blown away after being told about a knife set(!) that turned out to be am insanely good value.

The background is that I was doing some random googling and came across a post in a forum (by someone who was trained professionally), about an amazing knife set he found for less than $100 sold by Sam's club. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

More precisely, the knives in the set are Shun Classic clones and consist of a 8" chef, a Santuku a petty, a paring knife and a block. They really do seem like clones: other than that they say Tramontina and being made in Brazil, they look and feel exactly like the Shun classic line - they have a Shun style "damascus" with a VG-10 core.

http://www.tramontina-usa.com/Damasc...ct%20Info.html

(Tramontina does some excellent mid tier kitchenware - I have their Le Creuset clones and they are an excellent value...).

I bought a set for fun and to practice my sharpening skills. They weren't super sharp out of the box,nowhere near as sharp as a Tojiro or even a Shun but they sharpened up pretty easily to be as sharp as my Tojiro DP's and while I haven't used them long enough to know for sure, so far they seem to keep the kind of edge one would expect of VG-10.

The knife set, while apparently no longer available at Sams club, seem widely available on ebay and Amazon for between $70 and $100.

A postscript: I don't yet know how chippy they will be but I suppose (:- ) ) since they cloned Shun, they will be pretty chippy! (Easily cured by a micro bevel of course.) Still, these knives are unbelievably good for the money, they sharpened up fine and the balance is really nice as well I thought.

i've seen these posted on a couple other forums. sounds to be good value for the price. folks on here would not like these. might be great gifts for family and friends though.

Oh I absolutely agree, my Carter they are not :- )

But as beater knives they can't be beat and they do make great gifts. I actually just bought a couple to give as gifts from ebay. They also are great to practice knife sharpening on if you are a relative beginner like me because the steel is pretty good and the price is so low - also if one is a student for example and was thinking of Victorinox, these are a better value think...

Best kitchen knife gift I've given was a Sab carbon. Best one I've received would likely be my Misono Dragon. Best knife I've bought for $5 was a Kiwi.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Checked out the link, & Immediately got the feeling of deja Vu all over again , the logo was eerily reminiscent of the block print on my Mundial's. And the description on
    how the company was founded, being based in brazil & on & on. Could have been written by the same guy sitting at a desk in New York. Am I the only conspiracy nut
    or does any one else get the slight whiff of a marketing ploy?

Tramontina makes a lot of stuff, and has been around for a long time. The tri-ply cookware they make is of good quality and is a good value. I'm not sure what marketing ploy you're thinking of.

I have a Tramontina chef knife at home and it is good. It was super cheep white handled Sam's Club buy almost ten years ago but I still use it at home. Thin, stamped Froschneresque but with more height at the heel.

I was thinking the same parent company is pushing product under multiple brands, case in point , those old enough to remember the 70's might remember brands
    like Gibson refrigerators, Sears "Hot Point" appliances and Kelvinator appliances. all 3 brands came out of the same building on the south west side of grand Rapids michigan.
    all the metal shells came from the same fab shop . all the refer's had the same compressor { assembled & braised on the first floor }. the only difference being which brand medallion was stuck on before packaging .

I've handled a couple tramontina kitchen knives, their pro stuff aren't bad. certainly better profile than wusthof, same hardness (the old wusties anyway), same steel, and a 1/3 of the price. so why the heck not? for a budget pro kitchen knife.

tramontina does make a lot of stuff. they were an italian owned company then moved to brazil and they kept making knives there. they make pots, pans, kitchen knives, even machetes and jungle knives. Let's just say they're good value items. I own a bunch of their pots and pans.

i own their made in usa stuff. they say their made in china ones are inferior. they also ship their made in brazil stuff to all over, too.

tramontina's been around since the early 1900s from what i can remember.

Mundial aren't exactly terrible for the price, either. If they happen to be the same parent company, who cares....

I have no issue with GM/GMC/Pontiac (before it disappeared), so why not with knives? I don't think this is the case with Tramontina, but if it is, I'm not bothered by it at all. Not to mention, I've read many reviews on their tri-ply cookware, and it gets stellar marks. Just because it isn't on our radar doesn't mean it's crap. I'm glad the OP put this link up, just because it's given another option for what could potentially be a pretty good buy. If I'm not mistaken, Mano has some carbon Tramontinas that he's pretty fond of, and he's a guy who knows a thing or two.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com