Quantcast
Best cheap knives ever?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best cheap knives ever??

Let's not also forget that rebranding is pretty common practice for Japanese knives too.

Good to hear you found something cheap and easy that is of "good enough" quality. I think its important to be able to share better knives with people without having to show them the full Monty.
    Not a lot of us were using stamped Walmart knives one day and Shigs the next, it's a progression, so finding a good gateway drug... I mean knife, has great value.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I have no issue with GM/GMC/Pontiac (before it disappeared), so why not with knives?
    Usually the cars aren't sold with the sales pitch that they were handmade by a sixth generation craftsman, blah blah blah. That's the part of OEM rebranding of knives that is confusing and deceiving.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Good point.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I just bought a set of the Tramontinas Shun clones for $85 via Amazon and will donate them to our church kitchen. If they are as good as it seems they might become my recommendation for friends who ask me to sharpen their really, really bad knives! In fact, it might be cheaper and quicker to just give them these than spend hours trying to sharpen some obstinate piece of stainless steal crap that grinds down my stones!!

I love the idea of thinking of these knives as gateway drugs to my current addiction :- )

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Let's not also forget that rebranding is pretty common practice for Japanese knives too.

Good to hear you found something cheap and easy that is of "good enough" quality. I think its important to be able to share better knives with people without having to show them the full Monty.
    Not a lot of us were using stamped Walmart knives one day and Shigs the next, it's a progression, so finding a good gateway drug... I mean knife, has great value.

Ersatz Shuns are nothing new. I bought an Evergood 240mm gyuto (VG10 warikomi with stainless, made in Taiwan) from fleabay a couple of years ago, $32. Very good value for money.

CCK cleavers have strong following as a first good cheap cleaver.

As for others has anyone tried the French peasant knife from lee valley ? looks like a good camping knife.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/p...733,40738&ap=1

MikeHL, those knives look pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHL View Post
    CCK cleavers have strong following as a first good cheap cleaver.

As for others has anyone tried the French peasant knife from lee valley ? looks like a good camping knife.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/p...733,40738&ap=1
    Ooh...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Best kitchen knife gift I've given was a Sab carbon. Best one I've received would likely be my Misono Dragon. Best knife I've bought for $5 was a Kiwi.
    Best kitchen knife I've given as a gift was a Lamson, and a Henckels, both to my 21 year old daughter. If she keeps care of them, she'll get an upgrade.
    Best knife I've gotten as a gift is my 270mm Hiromoto AS gyuto. Fabulous knife.