Quantcast
Best cheap knives ever?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best cheap knives ever??

I was wondering is there a French profile knife like a Forschner?

Back when I was working in kitchens in the early '90s Victorinox was putting out a Sabatier shaped knife which was better finished than anything on the market. I was working in a very French place and it was a cult object in a world of Wusthofs and Messermeisters. Then they went to the plastic handle Victorinox/Forschner things. I might still have one downstairs somewhere.

When I give the gift of Knife to someone it's usually a Tojiro ITK, or Tanaka damascus. Tojiros need a trip to the stones immediately, but the payoff is big performance from a tight budget. For the money Tanaka blue steel damascus is hard to beat - takes a wicked sharp edge and hold it long time. Looks purty too.

Engorged Member
    Best cheap knives ever? Buying a beater and fixing it up,or even better when someone else has done the work for you! One of my favorite knives that I have is a Kochi I got second hand from BST. I recently used a new Kochi and mine blows a new one away!
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Just an update: The sam's club auction site is selling them off and the resulting price is usually even cheaper than Amazon or ebay. They are consistently going for between $45 and $50 which with tax and shipping came to a bit under $60 for the extra sets I bought to give away and/or to use as beaters...

online link or just in store?

I just picked up the Tojiro ITK Bread Knife for $60. Don't think much can beat that for a 10" beast that can do almost anything.
    JP

How about the Dojo 180mm gyuto with stainless cladding and AS steel?

Tramontina also makes a pretty good Machete

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    How about the Dojo 180mm gyuto with stainless cladding and AS steel?
    Great knife for the money. The whole AS Dojo line is a terrific value imho.