Quantcast
Best cheap knives ever?? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best cheap knives ever??

I bought a basic Cuisinart serrated tomato knife from Ross for like $10 over 10+ years ago and it still cuts through my fruits cleanly. I've never sharpened it, and never give it a thought when tossing it in the dishwasher either. One of the front poking tines snapped off years ago, but I can't find any reason to get rid or replace it. Some things just seem work.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHL View Post
    CCK cleavers have strong following as a first good cheap cleaver.

As for others has anyone tried the French peasant knife from lee valley ? looks like a good camping knife.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/p...733,40738&ap=1
    I bought one today just to check it out. At the very least it'll make a usable line knife. Ill keep y'all posted when it arrives.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

Here is my thread on a couple of pretty nice knives I got cheap recently. Very pleased so far.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...on-in-the-mail!

Without thinking of the German/Brazil history, I always thought it was funny seeing the white handled Tramontinas with the German Steel. It's a cheap knife but the fact it was cheaper to ship the steel to Brazil then to make in Germany always gives me images of sweatshops. Unless that's just some kinda marketing gimmick...

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    I bought one today just to check it out. At the very least it'll make a usable line knife. Ill keep y'all posted when it arrives.
    I'll be curious to read that. Looks confortable.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

I have a Ikea Damascus VG10. It was a gift, but was 50$ new. Great great knife. Very shun like in the handle. Takes a great edge, and takes a beating. I actually have the whole set from this line. The only stainless kitchen knives i have, and I love them.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Anything from the Fujiwara FKH line, cheap and very good for the money.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

dexter sani-safe line has to be one of the best values. 10" chefs for $30. last night i sharpened two of them with a don brand tri oil stone (hate these types), stropped on cardboard. got them both to pass the slice tomato without holding it test with see-thru thin slices.

Victorianox are great, dexters makes good stainless as well.

Tojiro may be best bang for the buck over shuns.

Dexter Russel carbon 10 inch cook's knife. When they were widely available 10+ years ago they only cost $14. I still see them around for $40...easy to sharpen and a pretty thin blade, I probably burned through a little over a half dozen these in my career.

+ Reply to Thread