Quantcast
How are hand rubbed Satin Finishes achieved?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are hand rubbed Satin Finishes achieved?

How are hand rubbed Satin Finishes achieved?

Can anyone give a detailed explanation as to how satin finishes are applied to a blade?

Example :

Its actually a very simple process but requires a lot of work. Sand with wet-dry sandpaper from 200 until all the scratches are gone, then continue with 400, 800, 1200, and then 2000 until the previous grits scratches are all gone. You also have to sand all in one direction.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

ditto, but I've found that applying oil, either mineral oil or cutting oil, to the blade helps produce a more uniform finish.

he, i was doing that with a knife this morning. i use micro-mesh pads. i use a home made jig to keep the knife straight for the first few grades, but i do it by hand on the finer pads, as i find it helps prevent hot spots if the sides of the knife aren't flat. putting a folded up towel under wet dry is really useful, if you don't use sanding pads.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ditto, but I've found that applying oil, either mineral oil or cutting oil, to the blade helps produce a more uniform finish.
    Water works also
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

mobil 1 synthetic, beautiful.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Does the viscosity of the oil prevent the abrasive from biting as deeply? I got to try to mobil 1, I got a lot of half empty bottles from my oil changes.

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    I can tell you that that one was done ........"by Hand"....

I use spray way glass gleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    I can tell you that that one was done ........"by Hand"....

I use spray way glass gleaner.

Hi Bill,

This is a beautiful finish that you have put on the knife. Besides the spray, how did you go about putting a satin finish on it?

WD-40, buy it by the gallon. It doesn't seem to clog the paper as much as oil. Then Windex for the real fine grits.