Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone have a backyard wood fire pizza oven?

anyone have a backyard wood fire pizza oven?

been thinking about building one. having an internal struggle with "am i gonna use it much?".

my backyard is huge and nasty. we had a drought and the water district restricted watering. i let it die.

i think i can strategically place this oven to accommodate a future home remodel/enlargment and backyard re-landscape.

anyone have one and not use it? the romance expire and now it is just a black widow spider haven? you develop a cheese allergy?

Good question, I want to build one as well. You thinking Brick oven or earthen oven?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

thinking brick..i would cover it all up with some nice tile work..

i did some quick calcs..the finish product would need a construction forklift to move. my friend is 80% complete with his. didnt look that difficult. he lives too far for me to sponge off of his oven..and it sparked the idea with me

Built a earthen oven with my father at my parents house last year, and will be building a. Brick this summer. Never used it for pizza, but bake bread all the time. For some good info. Wad over to The Fresh Loaf, there is a forum specifically devoted to brick and earthen ovens. DIY and commercial. I would suggest lurking there a while them joining up, lots of smart bread and pizza obsessed (like me, lol) with lots of great info. Can be kinda snobby at times, but the members are still smart as hell
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    Built a earthen oven with my father at my parents house last year, and will be building a. Brick this summer. Never used it for pizza, but bake bread all the time. For some good info. Wad over to The Fresh Loaf, there is a forum specifically devoted to brick and earthen ovens. DIY and commercial. I would suggest lurking there a while them joining up, lots of smart bread and pizza obsessed (like me, lol) with lots of great info. Can be kinda snobby at times, but the members are still smart as hell
    i do this..i am kidnapping you, for a week or so and stealing your sourdough mother. ahhaha.

Ever since I saw the Blue Bottle Coffee guy's original coffee roasting oven, I've wanted to build a backyard oven. Thanks for the TFL rec Jmadams13. Didn't realize they had an oven section there.

As long as you pay for my ticket to Cali, let me sleep on the couch, and provide a never ending supply of IPA, prefer affably Green Flash or Stone, lol. I'll even smuggle some of my Momma for you. But I must warn you, she's quite a stinky angry on, lol
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    ... provide a never ending supply of IPA, prefer affably Green Flash or Stone, lol.
    Actually, that's what our fridge is stocked with. We do have some Sierra Nevada Torpedo too.

I want a wood fire oven as well, but it's not going to happen in our current home.

I'd you really want, I can go in depth on the benifits and downsides to both kinda, as well as white vs blak firing, and some input I got from building mine.

I've baked both pro and home with a few different kinda of wood fired ovens, and some are definitely better than others for many reasons. I'll go into it when I get done work today, and have some time to think it out, lol

i think the fact that my backyard looks like "the trees vomited" is not going to help me. sure i can build an oven, but i cant install new irrigation and sod? i can hear my wife now