Quantcast
Rehab Sab - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rehab Sab

What did you use to get rid of the bolster?

He sanded with several different belts for the heavy removal and finished by hand.

Great job, I think they look much better with the blade bit of the bolster ground out. You can trim them off with a thin cutting disc also, but make sure you keep dipping it in water.

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Great job, I think they look much better with the blade bit of the bolster ground out. You can trim them off with a thin cutting disc also, but make sure you keep dipping it in water.
    Not speaking about this specific one, but quite often the blade is very thick at the heel, due to the forging method. It's enough to reduce the finger guard so much that it levels with a relief bevel. Removing the entire finger guard makes only sense if you're able to considerably reduce the blade's thickness at the heel, and reconsider the whole blade's distal taper.
    One of the characteristics of traditional French blades is the very nimble tip, and the sturdy heel part.
    By the way, the heel part was often left deadly flat for a few inches to allow rougher tasks.

How much?

Looks great!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

[QUOTE=Lefty;197236]How much? :QUOTE]
    Between 2 and 3", originally often much more. With the steeling and sharpening practices these knives where submitted, the flat section got reduced.

It's remarkable how the profiles can be so different from different time periods. I appreciate the insight Benuser. Heel is still pretty tough even though the whole blade has been tapered. The blade was in pretty rough shape so a lot of metal was removed. The profile is really nice. I'm toying with another old, old Sab and may be less aggressive on compete removal of the guard. We'll have to see .

Lefty, I like your style!

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the next. That looks great. I like the smaller pins, and the handle shape looks great.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck