making a knife length shorter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
This unusual idea came up in my mind this evening;
I have a 330mm kensaki yanagi. I feel it is too long and like to make it shorter by cutting a 3~5cm off from the blade and like to make a small cutting tool with the cut-off 3~5cm blade also.
What is the best tool for doing it? I imagine some sort of water cool industrial quality cutting tool. :)
Where can I send it to if someone can do it?

Thanks K

IMO this sounds like a bad idea all around... Pop it up on BST and buy a shorter one if you can. But I would go with a hacksaw for the iron and a hammer to snap the steel if I was going to go through with it. Bear in mind that the ura will be all messed up no matter how you do it.

Will you not have to then rework the whole tip profile, shinogi and redo the Ura?

Sell it and buy a shorter knife or see if someone has one to trade.

Just keep sharpening it and over time it will shorten.

LOL. Thanks for your input!!
If there's a way for a clean cut, the backside would be ok.
Of course, the tip needs a little care after but not major.
I will think about selling it.
Thanks again.

what squilliam said.

post it on the BST and buy a shorter one.

=D

This unusual idea came up in my mind this evening;
I have a 330mm kensaki yanagi. I feel it is too long and like to make it shorter by cutting a 3~5cm off from the blade and like to make a small cutting tool with the cut-off 3~5cm blade also.
What is the best tool for doing it? I imagine some sort of water cool industrial quality cutting tool. :)
Where can I send it to if someone can do it?
Thanks K

The simplest way to cut a hardened steel, is to use an angle grinder with a cut-off disk. It will generate some heat, so you will probably need to grind off discolored area around the cut line. If there is a distal taper on the blade, you are likely to lose much of it, and end up with a thicker knife. If you want a kensaki tip ground on the shortened knife, whoever does the work, hopefully knows what he is doing.

In short, I would just sell this knife and buy a shorter one. In my opinion it it is not worth the effort.

I think trying to shorten a single bevel knife is akin to making a spanker for your own ass. Sell it and buy or trade it for a shorter one.

Thanks again for your input.
I will erase the "unusual idea" = stupid idea from my head. :O

Thanks again for your input.
I will erase the "unusual idea" = stupid idea from my head. :O

It's not a stupid idea, it can be done (I did it once), but it's a bit of work and I am sure there is somebody out there who is looking for a kensaki yanagi in this lengh.

It's not a stupid idea, it can be done (I did it once), but it's a bit of work and I am sure there is somebody out there who is looking for a kensaki yanagi in this lengh.

I am somewhat attached to this knife as it is a custom made.
But you guys are right. It's best to put it on b/s/t if I can't enjoy it.

Back