Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who says you can't polish a turd

Sexy!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Very nicely done.

Thanks. Have to go to the auto parts store to get more sand paper, then I'll do a WIP on the petty.

As for sanding the handle: after each burn, I lightly sand with 300grit. When time comes to polish, I go 300/400/600/800/1000/2000. I then 2000 after each application of tung oil. I heat the wood up with a hair dryer before applying. Not sure if its true, but my wood working grandfather once told me it helps soak into the wood

I also went up to 2500 grit for polishing the copper
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

now it's a shiny turd? =D

Do you use auto sand paper in the handle?

Yeah. Wet/dry from autozone. I think it's a 3m brand
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I really like what you did with the handle--looks awesome in terms of water resistance. Is that deep black handle color just from the burning or the tung oil? If I were to try this, would I just need to burn the handle as dark as I can and then just sand (that is what the post says but I'm wondering if there's any more to it)?

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I really like what you did with the handle--looks awesome in terms of water resistance. Is that deep black handle color just from the burning or the tung oil? If I were to try this, would I just need to burn the handle as dark as I can and then just sand (that is what the post says but I'm wondering if there's any more to it)?
    heirkb, he did mention that he was going to do some WIP photos of his ITK petty when he begins that project. i too would like to see how far you burn the handle, how long you oil the wood, dry the wood etc etc etc...
    when i pull the trigger on that tanaka ginsanko gyuto, i may give it the same treatment if the handle is cheap.

That's a right fine lookin' turd there. I have a 210 gyuto and 150 petty from the ITK shirogami line and with a little work they are quite good working knives. I knock the kurouchi back with a 3m pad till it's smooth and it's fine. I removed it on the Petty and it's shiny, but lumpy looking from the hammer work. The Shirogami Yanagiba I have is polished like yours and takes a very keen edge and holds it. Pretty good bang for the buck for the motivated DIY'er.