Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT -- Eureka, I just discovered Black gold

I am in the process of stripping it down and re-seasoning. It had some really sticky crap around the corners, but the center looked like it was always cleaned with steel wool, hence bare metal. I am going to just steel wool the top where there are small spots of rust and then leave it be. This ought go nicely with my new portable induction burner!!!
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

hey looks like a good find... needs some seasoning... I would light coat it with cooking oil and pop it in the oven ( upside down) cover and the pot for 1 hr at max temp of the oven. SHould produce an even coating..

enjoy and hv fun..

Whoa, and it even has the lid! That's a great score. I love my vintage cast iron. Have fun with it and post the seasoning results!

love the lid! Great find.

According to the information on this site (click here), your Wagner Ware was made before 1922.

BTW, I understand that the traditional way to reseason cast iron cookware was to bury it in hot coals for 24 hours.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    According to the information on this site (click here), your Wagner Ware was made before 1922.

BTW, I understand that the traditional way to reseason cast iron cookware was to bury it in hot coals for 24 hours.
    No sh&T!? Pre 1922? That's cool. I also discovered that Wagner ware and Wagner were two different entities, with Wagner being the more sought after. But from what I can see, this is high quality stuff with a smooooooth surface!

I've heard that you shouldn't season at ultra high heat because as it cools thermal shock will crack it.

I'm just going to use Crisco and medium heat.
    Bert M.

oooh, aaaaaahhhh
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    No sh&T!? Pre 1922? That's cool. I also discovered that Wagner ware and Wagner were two different entities, with Wagner being the more sought after. But from what I can see, this is high quality stuff with a smooooooth surface!

I've heard that you shouldn't season at ultra high heat because as it cools thermal shock will crack it.

I'm just going to use Crisco and medium heat.
    I don't think cracking is an issue if you allow it to cool naturally. If you do it in an oven, set it on a timer and let it cool overnight. If you pull it out of the hot oven that might be too quick, but if the oven and the pan both cool slowly together it's not a problem.

In any event, I have seasoned cast iron pans in 500* ovens and on a grill with a chimney full of completely lit coals.

Just don't forget to use an oven mitt to grab the lid handle after you've pulled it out of the oven!

I had one of those little gizmos that you impaled four potatoes on for baking. I'd use a oven mitt to grab the lifting ring to pull it out of the oven with my right hand & then transfer the oven mitt to my left hand to pull the hot potatoes off and grabbed the lifting ring to hold the gizmo with my right hand.... After far too many burnt fingers I finally threw the damn thing away.

James

Quote Originally Posted by jheis View Post
    Just don't forget to use an oven mitt to grab the lid handle after you've pulled it out of the oven!

I had one of those little gizmos that you impaled four potatoes on for baking. I'd use a oven mitt to grab the lifting ring to pull it out of the oven with my right hand & then transfer the oven mitt to my left hand to pull the hot potatoes off and grabbed the lifting ring to hold the gizmo with my right hand.... After far too many burnt fingers I finally threw the damn thing away.

James
    Doh!! Yeah I've 'forgotten' how hot some things are when I am in a rush. I got burns all over my hands from 20 years in the pro kitchens...
    Bert M.