Removing rust on KU finish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for some fresh pointers on removing light to medium rust off a KU finish. Doesn't seem to be the deep type, will be removing the handle as well.

The knife is a Carter

Thank you

Nothing very abrasive. It will remove the KU. I used flitz on a moritaka, it did take the rust away, but also "soften" the KU. Whatever you do use, do the whole portion finished, so it looks even

Try steel wool. The metal kind. I don't think the steel in it is hard enough to abrade the KU, if you work it lightly, but it should take the rust off no problem.

I had a very slight rust in the 'carter' stamp. i used scotch brite lightly to remove it. It didn't harm the KU at all. I'd imagine steel wool would work as well

Chris

I use balled up aluminum foil and water on bike parts. Worth a shot. Not super abrasive.

You could try rubbing it with a wine cork and baking soda. Let us know what you end up using and how it works out.

I have to say, there is no forum like this elsewhere! Thank you all for the great advise.

I used an old toothbrush and some BKF paste, worked like a charm; on the surface, I couldn't tell if any KU finish was affected

Furthermore, handle came off and, well, rust had done some real damage to the tang the point that I may need to do some basic welding to reinforce the tang.... So, it's become a project now, likely needing more of your advise.

Thanks again !

Back