Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do?

What to do?

I'm in a bit of a pickle. So I bought a knife from a vendor (MR) and the blade was left alone for 5 months before I started thinning it. I found some pretty bad grind issues (quite a nice divot 1" in diameter causing part of the knife face to be a bit concave), tried to fix them, couldn't and then and emailed the vendor. The vendor referred me to someone (SF) who works for him and SF wants to charge me to regrind the knife.

Now, I don't really mind paying to fix issues if I caused the problem, but this was a factory issue. Should I just flat out email the vendor back after he referred me to SF and ask for a refund 5 months after I purchased and worked on the knife?

Engorged Member
    Yes, or ask them to do the work for free.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

5 Months? SOL.

Engorged Member
    IF the maker stands behind his work then you should be covered.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe you can get atleast a partial refund.

If I'm understanding the post correctly, this is a vendor and not a maker. And if I understand the abbreviations correctly, this is someone who does not necessarily stand behind replacing defective products (think Moritaka). Not sure what you can do if that is the case.

5 months does cause quite a bit of an issue, and so does the fact that you already did some work on it. However, it's pretty common knowledge that over grinds like the one that you mentioned can take some time to show up. The vendor's response is not to the high standards of the vendors on here, but then again I'm guess that this wasn't a semi-custom or rare blade. What was is the knife?
    If it's what I'm suspecting, then you it's kind of a situation of buying a raffle ticket and getting what you paid for...
    Last thing I'd do though is pay that goofball money to try and "fix" anything.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Are you certain this defect can be fixed? I would like to see the divot in question. Can you take pics?

I see this quickly becomming a us v. them arguement, but it should not be. No vendor (short of some custom makers).....or at least most that I can think of would take care of full refunds or free fixes that long after the transaction.

5 months...I think you have failed your due diligence of inspecting the knife to make sure it fit your needs.

I know the particular vendor will take back and refund items within a reasonable amount of time. I have personally returned two items... but 5 months is a bit much.

Since it truly looks like something that could have only happened during the fabrication process you would hope that they would be willing to address a defective product. But I agree w/ heirkb -- 5 months is a long time to wait before contacting a vendor and telling them a manufactured product you bought (which has a minimal warranty) is defective