Quantcast
What to do? - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Yeah, 5 months is a long time. I think you have to eat it.

And you missed the opportunity to 'launder' your purchase by buying a new one (as your replacement) and sending in the old one as faulty. Of course, by posting here you have completely eF-ed yourself. You could have gotten something in writing from MR that the SF work would 'fix' it, and if it didn't work (which it likely wouldn't), then you would have had a second chance at getting your money back or some other discount -- but I don't think that is going to happen now.

Sorry bud, but I look forward to the WIP about you reprofiling/grinding it.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Unless the overgrind is deeper than half the thickness of the knife, then you wont get holes in the edge. IMO it doesn't look that deep, so I wouldn't expect to see holes in the future. If you have a right hand asymmetric edge, then it's even less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
    Unless the overgrind is deeper than half the thickness of the knife, then you wont get holes in the edge. IMO it doesn't look that deep, so I wouldn't expect to see holes in the future. If you have a right hand asymmetric edge, then it's even less likely.
    your really turning lemons into lemonade at that point!

^^ yes, but if there is ever a lemon shortage you will know where to stock up...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

lol!

Considering we (most of us) live in a country where 90+% of businesses have a 30 day return/exchange policy, I think 5 months is a little long to be upset about it. It's part of American retail that is almost ingrained in us via it's popularity amongst businesses.

i see both sides. personally i think a partial refund/replacement is the best thing in this situation for both parties involved.

Okay... SF?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    your really turning lemons into lemonade at that point!
    I'm just saying that I don't think it's a problem beyond aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I didn't realize that this was that common Dave. Surprising. Looks like I'll be sending MR and SF a long email tonight. Here's to being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my explanation, the overall problem of low and high spots on knives is commonly seen when trying to flatten or thin with stones but this specifically is unique in how it's showing up on your knife, it's a tad more serious or problematic than I normally see.

To give an example, when I thin Hiro AS knives I often find big lows right in front of the bolster where the factory ground the welds down. I also sometimes see lows right behind the tip too on these knives. Tojiro DPs also have this same sort of thing but so do Ichimonji and so on. None are exactly the same though.