Where can I find octogonal ho wood or iichi wood handles?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukas

Reaction score
I want to rehandle my Heiji but I can't find octagonal ho or iichi wood handles. I know Jon has them but it seems that you need to send him the knife and I ant to do it myself. European ar Japanese sources are preferred .

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem -- locating an octagonal ho-wood or yew wood handle. The more difficult part is finding slender ones that will be appropriate to a petty or a short suji on a Gesshin Ginga or Konosuke type knife that won't destroy the little knuckle clearance I have.

I'm trying to rehandle a Konosuke petty. And although the blades are near-identical, I can state that the quality of the handle job and the Sakai Yusuke knives are far superior to that of my Konosukes. Not only that, but Sakai Yusuke's handles are sized right for the job whereas the Konosukes are just fat and oversized on my pettys.

Thanks, but none of those two vendors have octagonal ho or iichi wood.

Octagonal ho-wood handles - and the good ones, same as on Shigefusa - were previously listed on JNS. They aren't now, yes, but I think you can just ask Maxim for them. I got one from him recently.

Perhaps he hasn't listed them as the chestnut ones seem so popular and the ho-wood is seen as bland by us non-Japanese, but I prefer them.

Back