new 3k stone need help deciding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
hey guys im looking for a stone around 3k for finishing my gyutos and am unsure of what to get i just started looking into jns store and saw the green aoto which is around 3k grit size. what do you guys think would be better a natural stone or a synthetic stone. and if so what natural stone or synthetic stone do you enjoy using or recommend buying at the 3k range. thank guys

Naniwa Aotoshi Green Brick. It's 2k but finishes really nicely. It's the only waterstone in that range that I've used, but I really love it. Its good for setting up kasumi finishes, and polishing thin or hamaguri bevels as well. It has a very smooth feel, and it is soft but doesn't wear super fast. Good value too.

I am very happy with my Green Aoto, it doubles very nicely as a slurry source for polishing blades.
So if you like naturals you will not go wrong with that one. Another thing to consider is if you prefer synthetic to natural. Synthetics in general can be a bit faster and dish a bit slower depending on the particular stone. On another hand a natural will never load, and can be used for kasumi finish. If I am not wrong there are threads on the Green Aoto search them and read the reviews.

I use the JNS synthetic aoto, which is a mix of 3&5K particle size, for all my knives and like the edge it gives. Plenty of bite for western style knives. It's rather hard, but has a nice feel, and you can work up some mud if you like. Splash and go, and doesn't use very much water.

Back