.098 or .110 Blade Thickness for Paring Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erdbeereis

Reaction score
Would these thicknesses make a good paring knife if ground thin enough? .098 is roughly 3/32 and .110 is a bit over that.

You have a lot of questions regarding making knives, my suggestion would be for you to get some known good Japanese examples in your hands and test them out for yourself and go from there. Doing market research is only going to get you so far, you're going to eventually make a knife and have many more questions then to which can be answered from your own experience and testing.

I agree, I just like to do as much research as possible before starting something. :D

I think I might go with .110 AEB-L because I could always use it for something else if it doesn't workout for paring knives...

.110 could be used for a chef knife and other kitchen knives, if used for a paring knife it might be a bit on the thick side depending on a person's preference.

.098 would be better for paring knife, as well as other kitchen knives. For a truly thin kitchen knife you could even use 1/16". I have an 8" chef knife of 1/16" ATS34 and it is just fine. It has just a slight bit of flex but since the blade is wide enough it is still sufficiently rigid.

Back