Ed's Knives and Things

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejd53

Reaction score
Well, I have been lurking around for over a year and have finally gotten around to posting my humble collection. Not a chef, but I do like knives. I guess it must run in the family because my twin brother also collects Japanese blades, although his are generally several hundred years old and quite a bit larger than what is listed here:biggrin:. Without further ado...

180mmGyuto.jpg

Marko Tsourkan 180 mm Gyuto in 52100 with Ironwood handle and horn ferrule.

A few things from Pierre:

DamascusPetty.jpg

150 mm Damasteel Petty with Ironwood handle and copper bolster.

290mmladderDamascusRodrigueSuji.jpg

290 mm Suji in Ladder Damascus with Blackwood handle nickle silver spacer and horn ferrule.

IMG_4148.jpg

Carving Fork with Koa handle

A couple of things from Del:

DelEalyDamascusparingknife.jpg

Damascus Paring Knife with Amboyna Burl handle

100_1372.jpg

210 mm Damascus Gyuto with Blackwood Bolster and Ironwood handle

And a couple from Randy:

View attachment 14532

185 mm Nakiri in Predator Damascus with Musk Ox horn:biggrin: and Ebony handle

240mmgyutoforsalefeatherdamascusswordbillet156800x533.jpg

240 mm Gyuto in Elmax with Spalted Hackberry handle and Maple bolsters.

One from Will:

WillCatchside200mmRedSharkGyuto.jpg

200 mm "Red Shark" Gyuto in San Mai (304 Stainless over O1) with Amboyna handle and Cow horn ferrule with faux ivory and red spacers.

And finally a couple from Dave:

DSC00927.jpg

22 x 16 Walnut board

564.jpg

22 x 16 Walnut and Cherry board with trash chute.

Wow, awesome knife collection. Thanks for the post.

Great stuff. Man if I could take a few of those to work for a couple of days Id be cutting everything I could find. Thanks for sharing.

I think this is the "if I had $xxxx to spend on knives, this is what I'd get thread...

Really cool stuff, loving all the ironwood.

You must have saved your $$ over the last year - many of these are pretty recent sales! You did mighty fine for yourself! Drool.

You must have saved your $$ over the last year - many of these are pretty recent sales! You did mighty fine for yourself! Drool.

Actually, I did. When I started here in the Fall of 2011, I knew little to nothing about good knives. My collection then consisted of a set of 30 year old Henkel 4 stars. So I basically read and educated myself until I found things that I liked. I actually blundered into a DT 240 AEB-L western as my first good knife (nice blunder, lol:doublethumbsup:) which showed me just how much of a difference there was. After using it for several months, I got the Marko Gyuto. He was incredibly helpful and easy to work with. At that point, I determined two things: first, that I would wait until I knew more about knives before I spent more on them; and second, that I would only buy knives from makers on this board, as I consider it important to support those people who had been so helpful to me. That is why you will never see a Japanese made knife in my collection; I have nothing against them, but the support of board members is more important to me (not to mention that the knives are pretty good also). Since then I have "recycled" my DT to the PIF program, which I think is very worthwhile. I will not be without one, though as I have contacted him about a custom knife. I also have a few coming from Randy and a couple from Mike Davis. I am sworn to secrecy about these, however, you'll just have to wait (unfortunately, so will I. lol.:curse:)

A piece of advise, don't tell anyone on this board where you live.
cool collection

Just had to add my latest acquisition. Totally unexpected, but worth every penny.

View attachment 14685

Bill Burke 253 mm Gyuto in 52100 with rosewood handle and stainless steel bolsters. :drool:

That's a damn near perfect collection, Ed!

Just a small addition. Not a kitchen knife, but I have to put it in here.

View attachment 14747

HHH Damascus neck knife with dyed spalted birch burl.

A couple more to add to the pile:

First, the DT 240mm San Mai Gyuto with "spicy white steel" core:

View attachment 15373

Well, the second one is not a kitchen knife, but I thought this would be fun.

View attachment 15374
View attachment 15375
View attachment 15376
View attachment 15377

It's an old one, made by Michael in 2008 when he was still a journeyman smith, but was in a private collection and is in new condition. The specifics are:

Type: Utility knife
Steel: 52100
Handle: Spalted and curly maple
Blade length: 6.00 in.
Total length: 11.25 in.
Blade width: 1.20 in.
Blade thickness: 0.17 in.
Item weight: 7.12 oz.

Will Catchside feather damascus set:

These are a mixture of pure nickel/01 and 15n20 on the spine side, with a very high layer double high carbon on the edge. The spine is therefore softer while the edge is 63hrc.

Gyuto – Length 225mm, height, 45mm, thickness 3.5mm full distal taper.

Petty/Suji – Length 185mm, height, 32mm, thickness 3mm full distal taper.

Petty/Paring – Length 125mm, Height 27mm, thickness 2.5mm full distal taper.

_MG_4043_zps77b975eb.jpg

All the cash you dropped on some obnoxiously nice cutlery!!! :fanning:
Gorgeous stuff for sure! Definitely love to hear how the Catcheside's perform.

Filet/boning knife:
OAL is approx. 13 3/4". Blade is HHH Crazy Lace damascus integral design approx 200mm on the edge. Thickness in front of the guard is approx. 2.4mm tapering to 1.8mm where the grinds start 1.2mm midway .40mm about 1 cm behind the tip. This is a WHIP and has great flex. Handle is Mammoth ivory with black and white spacer and liner with stainless steel corby style fasteners.

Slicer:
OAL is approx 14.5". Blade is HHH Feather damascus integral design approx 240mm tip to heel. Height is approx 37mm tall at the heel. Thickness at spine in front of the bolsters 2.6mm, Midway to the tip 2.14mm, and approx 1 cm behind the tip .45mm Handles are Musk ox horn with black and white spacer and liner and stainless steel corby style fasteners.

Chef's:
OAL is approx 14.5". Blade is HHH Feather damascus integral design approx 240mm tip to heel. Height is approx 46.75mm tall at the heel. Thickness at spine in front of the bolsters 2.75mm, Midway to the tip 2.4mm, and approx 1 cm behind the tip .45mm Handles are Musk ox horn with black and white spacer and liner and stainless steel corby style fasteners.

WIPintegralfinishedphotos0671024x683.jpg

And a couple more from Michael Rader....

926228_1443473482581651_1980034696_n.jpg

Handles.jpg

Blades are W2 with beautiful hamon lines and integral bolsters. Handles are highly figured Koa with Box Elder Burl accent pieces. Spacers are copper and G10.

jeezus ejd, how many of these do you actually use on a regular?

Back