The rebuild of marc4pt0's suji-hiki (or how ever it is called).

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath Besch

Reaction score
My first attempt of this blade ended in ruin. The W2 that I was able to get ahold of was slightly over 1/4 inch thick and obviously had to be forged down. Here are the results afte HT:
image-19.jpg
:(

So after many of research, doubt and conversations with those who know but are reluctant to tell, I have taken a piece from the same bar and brought it to forge welding temp. BTW, the first one was forged at 1950 F..

Here are the results:
image-27.jpg

image-28.jpg

image-29.jpg

So in a few I will get the rough shape hammered out and the the super rough grind done.
Tomorrow will be the clay and HT.

So here are the updates:
image-32.jpg

image-31.jpg

Like I said, really rough. More to come.

kirit-gyuto-hiki? :)

looks like it's coming along....very interesting profile.

Oh, man. A WIP?? This is going to be way cooler a project than I anticipated!

I really like the shape of the blade, especially the kiritsuke tip

It looks to be 340mm long. :D

Cool thread again, Heath!

Thanks all, she is a bit long and a touch tall, but that will come out in the grind. Later today I will forge in the tang and finish out the profile. After that its the rough grind and then the HT. I don't think I will have a problem with delamination this time around. It was forged down at 2175-2000 F this time so any sheer cracks etc wer welded back together.

I'm getting all warm and fuzzy seeing this unfold. And I was certainly taken back by the overall length on the picture prior to this recent one. It seemed never ending as I was scrolling down. My first reaction was "D* mn! This knife it's going to be a beast, you freaking go Heath!"
Very much looking fwd

I'm hoping for it to be a beast towards the heel but nimble towards the tip. Maybe an Olympic bull on ice skates!:biggrin:

So here she just before the big and scary dunk!:

And this is off topic but I think it's great. Here is my angel helping me to fix the hammer!!

Love those Texas women!!

So she survived to the best of my knowledge. Felt no pings or heard no pops. There is some warping but that will come out in the tempering.

Oh, man! This is getting really, Really exciting! And I dig the "family" effort!

This has got to be one of the coolest WIP's ever!
Thanks for sharing Heath.
Marc, you are one lucky dude.

I feel like it! I've come back to this thread for the 3rd time tonight, just to admire and plot out what I'm going to attack first once I get this bad-ass in my possession!

It has been tough going and unfortunately this is now the third incarnation of the blade. This thine I went with a twin sister approach. Here are the pics after HT.

I'm going to rough grind it and check for the feared stress fractures!

Big sis is at 300 mm effective and little sis is at 265 effective.

Btw, big sis is going for a second round of mar normalization and HT. not happy with initial results.

So the second quench went better!

Every time I do this it scares the day lights out of me! Damn, I love water steels!?!

Your exactly right! It is a steel that is made to be quenched In water. They are also called shallow hardening steels. But you can also quench them in oil providing that the quench medium is fast enough to absorb to heat in the time frame that the steel will drop below the 'nose'. That is the time/temperature frame that the steel will change from autentite to pearlite (basically).

Your exactly right! It is a steel that is made to be quenched I. Water. They are also called shallow hardening steels. But you can also quench them in oil providing that the quench medium is fast enough to absorb to heat in the time frame that the steel will drop below the 'nose'. That the time/temperature frame that the steel will change from acute fits to pearlite (basically).

Interesting...thanks!

Like my ladies big! Don't have anything in the 300 profile yet, so this is great!

Like, ladies, 300...I'll stay away, thanks. :D

Back