Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: Look what was dropped off at my house...

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    575
    What shape are you shooting for?

  2. #12
    Pairing knives although I am starting to think 1/4" bar stock might be just a tad overkill . I may have to order something thinner, maybe 1/8th to start otherwise I'll be filing for an eternity.

    For the shape, I was thinking a flat edged sheep's foot pairing knife would be a good starter.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  3. #13
    You might have issues with shaping it after HT, because files will have a tough time cutting into hardened steel. A less headache-inducing method might be to just get a really, really coarse diamond plate for that, and then sanding away.

    Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

  4. #14
    After more research it looks like you are absolutely right Don, I will file to 85% finished shape, then move to 95% with sand paper. Once I am at the 95% mark I will heat treat and then finish the remaining 5% (sanding blade face to the desired level of finish, final sanding of handle and of course putting an edge on it).
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Pete - you're nuts!
    ++++++++1


    "All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,731
    For a paring knife, you might want to start closer to 1/16 inch!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  7. #17

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,545
    Who's doing the custom wa handles for the files?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,405
    file knives are fun.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Who's doing the custom wa handles for the files?
    This man is a genius!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  10. #20

    Bar stock is cut!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •