Quantcast
Look what was dropped off at my house... - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Look what was dropped off at my house...

Ok, after almost 18 hours of rest, the epoxy has not hardened. Clearly I did not put enough hardner in the mix so I have two questions.

1. Will it eventually harden if given enough time?

2. Should I just toss it and start over?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Also, what brands of epoxy do you recommend for handles and making your own micarta?

Ok, so I finally pulled the plug on this project, here are the results of the first failed "mycarta" batch.

Here's the sheet right out of the press... .
    The sheet was tacky on the exterior and very flexible bending to 45 degrees.

I cut off a small chunk to try sanding on with my Dremel and layers would peel away from time to time, so clearly it would not make a good medium for sculpting a handle.

Granted I failed but I will say that I learned a lot and will change quite a few aspects of the process in the future.

You're making micarta too? I've got to give you some applause here Pete!

Blades were shipped off to Peter's Heat Treat, will update when I get them back.

My Father-In-Law dropped off some steel a few weeks back that he found at a work site. It came in a clear plastic package with a label from Pacific Steel and the steel is designated as precision ground O1. Now this isn't my idea of precision ground but I feel obligated to use the steel for something, since it was a gift and the fact that it is identifiable makes it worthy of heat treat. The problem is that it's only 1/16th thick which limits the possibilities between pairing knives and steak knives.

I decided why not use it to make a chisel ground pairing knife but before I went through all of the work of manually sawing the steel, profiling the blank with files and yadda yadda yadda, I would test it out. There was a small piece of the steel that had been lopped off the bar already so I did a quick profile with a shoddy bench grinder, and then cleaned it up with some 80 grit sandpaper to rid the blank of the burrs from grinding. Now in my haste I ended up creating a single bevel for a left hander instead of a right hander ,but the concept is the same.

I was forced to use a dremel tool to create a terrible hollow grinder on the reverse side, although with my pairing knife I may not bother and see how she performs.

My freehand filing is definitely getting better with each blade so I am at least happy with that.

Blades just arrived back from Peter's Heat Treat, O1 finished at R/C 59.

I had some free time before I had to head into work today so I figured I would jump in and start working on a handle for my wharncliffe.

So I have my Dad's knife that I am making waiting for the epoxy to cure on their handles. I decided to work a bit on my wharncliffe since I had some downtime today, here's a 600 grit finish.

You're almost there Pete. thanks for the update!