Look what was dropped off at my house...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereo.pete

Reaction score
Yep, I have been inspired to try my hand at making something that resembles a metal stick with a cutting edge.

kmaking.JPG

Mil-cut Bastard File
Mil-cut Second Cut File

1/4" x 1" x 12" O1

Linen Micarta Scales

Until next time... :bladesmith:

Here's the plan after spending the last few days reading every thread at a knife making forum. I will be filing the blade to shape to about 85% with files and sandpaper, then I will attempt to heat treat it myself with a bootleg furnace made from a fire pit until it demagnetizes. Then I will quench in oil and then temper in the oven at 500 degrees and then finish the blade and handle.

I am sure I will have many questions to ask here when I finally start this project.

What really inspired me to jump into this project is the fact that the more I know about knife making, the more I will appreciate the amazing knives I already own. Similar to being able to play an instrument will give you a better appreciation and understanding of music.

You realize that this is going to take you a really long time, right?

What really inspired me to jump into this project is the fact that the more I know about knife making, the more I will appreciate the amazing knives I already own. Similar to being able to play an instrument will give you a better appreciation and understanding of music.

Yes, and the chances of actually producing something that gets sharp are highly unlikely but why not try to learn about the process? I don't expect success, luckily the bar was cheap and the files are something I should have in the old work shop anyway.

My hands ache just looking at that Pete. You are definitely crazy. Best of luck!

Pairing knives although I am starting to think 1/4" bar stock might be just a tad overkill :sad0: . I may have to order something thinner, maybe 1/8th to start otherwise I'll be filing for an eternity.

For the shape, I was thinking a flat edged sheep's foot pairing knife would be a good starter.

You might have issues with shaping it after HT, because files will have a tough time cutting into hardened steel. A less headache-inducing method might be to just get a really, really coarse diamond plate for that, and then sanding away.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

After more research it looks like you are absolutely right Don, I will file to 85% finished shape, then move to 95% with sand paper. Once I am at the 95% mark I will heat treat and then finish the remaining 5% (sanding blade face to the desired level of finish, final sanding of handle and of course putting an edge on it).

For a paring knife, you might want to start closer to 1/16 inch!

So progress is slow due to the fact that I don't actually have a vice. I made a make shift one for filing with a cut off piece of 2x4 bolted to another 2x4 and then hand clamped. It worked amazingly well for the resources that I had. I filed the blade tip to shape and haven't messed with the butt of the knife due to the fact that I am rethinking the handle design with a mockup and some clay.

wip3i.jpg

wip5k.jpg

wip4lr.jpg

Well, I finally had a chance to do some filing on the blank and I was able to finally finish the profile. She's coming along and at least looks like a knife from the profile. I am pretty happy with the results although I am thinking the center hump in the handle is a bit too preggers. I believe it will be more comfortable once there is a handle on it with some meat.

wip7k.jpg

wip8v.jpg

Lookin' good Pete!

P.S.
U R still crazy, but I like it!

Pete...much respect for attempting this. Keep going. This is awesome.

I will look when i get back from the hospital, and find you a link for a cool filing set up. Agree with all the above....you are crazy!!!

I will look when i get back from the hospital, and find you a link for a cool filing set up. Agree with all the above....you are crazy!!!

Mike.. What's happening at the Hospital? Thumb overgrind on yr 5HP belt sander?

Always appreciate a craftsman that can come up with a work around solution or circumvent the problem as it is creativity personified. I am sure that you wld be deriving much pleasure from this piece adn also during the process of making it... Then the next think to watch out is the possible inherent masochist tendency.. just kidding......

IF I have half your skill, I wld consider myself successful in this kind of endeavour.

Salute!!!:viking:

Look fwd to more pics.

Rgds
d

Latest posts

Back