Quantcast
yo to wa handle conversion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: yo to wa handle conversion

yo to wa handle conversion

for those of you that have gone through having a western handled knife converted to a wa, please share your results here.

takayuki grand cheff 240mm western gyuto. my very first j-knife purchase. at first i was elated at how sharp this damn thing was, it still takes the best edge out of all my knives. but eventually i grew tired of it, wasnt happy with the action as the profile was very western, i didn't like that it was narrow and it was flexible, plus the edge retention is not very good and the finish is so polished that everything sticks to it (especially red onion and potato). so i decided to pass it along as a gift, but before doing that i wanted to get it rehandled, and i thought, hmm maybe i'll try wa handle.

so i commissioned taz575 for the work. black ironwood, forget what the ferrule was.
    here are some pics:
    top knife is a MR first gen addict that's been heavily thinned down and re-profiled which i use daily as my laser (yes you read that right, lol). bottom is the grand cheff in stock form.

finished product:

closer look at handle:

another shot:

he's currently working on converting a brand new masamoto vg 240 for me in all dymondwood (can't wait!)

Neck looks a bit on the long side, but overall looks a lot nicer than the stock handle.

Both the ferrule and black dyed wood look like redwood (lace and burl respectively) to me.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

it looks weird but functionally works quite well for a pinch grip as the middle finger rests under the neck where it's NICELY rounded. and the entire handle is tapered so your palm just guides right into the right spot.

Looks nice! I especially like the taper

Chris

yes, correction the handle is 2 tone redwood burl.

The handle looks really slick, the redwood lace ferrule against a dark handle is nice.

to be perfectly honest, i actually prefer using the stock handle of the addict (rosewood w ebony ferrule i believe?). while the custom handle looks amazing, i don't like that it's smooth, prefer texture with feedback and fatter handles even though i have small hands. of course this will be a gift to someone so go for all vanity. if it were for myself i would have opted for a pedestrian option.

masamoto vg 240 gyuto, converted to wa: black dymondwood handle/ferrule with yellow g10 spacer

the top rosewood with dymondwood ferrule is going on a tanaka.

this hybrid shape of octagon on top half with oval on bottom half aka OctaVal is incredibly comfortable. i'd say it's the best handle i've yet to use.
    before with stock western handle it was a bit on the heavy side. i asked taz to thin out the tang and now it's nice and light, fell completely in love with this knife all over again. it's definitely my go to. also have a dt itk 270 which is badass in itself, but only use that for heavy duty work now.

panda, I'm glad that you're happy with the results but seriously that's got to be some of the worst **** I've seen done to a knife. Please don't hate me for saying what everyone is thinking.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    panda, I'm glad that you're happy with the results but seriously that's got to be some of the worst **** I've seen done to a knife. Please don't hate me for saying what everyone is thinking.
    +1, it looks ill proportioned.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

+ Reply to Thread