Brisket WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
My sweet Texas bride (perhaps in a former life?)wanted brisket, who am I to argue?

Somebody's been to The Restaurant Depot!
What time should we be over for dinner?

Wow - that's a lean brisket - looks delicious Jim.

Jim, Looks DYNOMITE! What went into your rub? Did you do any internentions to the meat? Brining, pumping, tumbling. I've been messing with Sodium Erythrobate lately when curing the briskets for pastrami. It really helps the salt penetrate to the core.

I wish my mothers brisket turned out like that. Can you post your recipe or send a PM?

I've never done a brisket before. Maybe when I order my 1/2 cow this spring I'll make sure I get one and try it out. Also getting a BGE next month....ideas ideas....

I wish my mothers brisket turned out like that. Can you post your recipe or send a PM?

It's top secret so don't tell anyone OK?

¼ c kosher salt
½ c coarse pepper
2 T lemon zest
½ t cayenne
1T thyme
2T paprika
1T granulated garlic
2T granulated onion

Not super critical on the proportions, I rub at least one day in advance but two is better.

Cook and enjoy.

Was it smoked? What temp and for how long? Did you use any flavoured wood chips or pellets? Our last brisket we did in a Creuset. Turned out fairly well, but not like yours with the smoke ring. I'm salivating looking at your pics.

Was it smoked? What temp and for how long? Did you use any flavoured wood chips or pellets? Our last brisket we did in a Creuset. Turned out fairly well, but not like yours with the smoke ring. I'm salivating looking at your pics.

I think you answered your own question. ;)

BTW, outstanding looking brisket, Jim. If I may say, it looks better than some of your previous briskets. The flat looks moist, without any typical dry areas around the edge and in between the muscle fibers. Very nicely done.

I'm picking up a Whole Foods (not organic, but no antibiotics and no hormones) bone-in pork butt this evening to cook tomorrow. I'll try to post pictures if I don't get too tired in the evening when I cook it.

First blooding of the Boardsmith.

7 hours with a mix of Earth Fare lump charcoal and pecan.

That...

Seriously, my mouth is watering uncontrolably right now

I could have sworn I saw that "brisket" at Katz's Deli Jim. 2 thumbs up.

I have yet to get a brisket that looks so good! I've gottem my chicken, jerky, pork butt, and ribs down pat. But brisket is giving me fits. Well done!!

I've had Jim's brisket and I can attest to it being blue ribbon quality....that's Texas competition blue ribbon quality. :)

Back