Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need More Help - Distance between heel and handle

Need More Help - Distance between heel and handle

I should probably ask how many like to put a middle finger (no punt intended) in the space between handle and heel when pitch-gripping?

As always, thanks!

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The first joint of my index finger gently rests against the back of the heel and choil

A good amount for comfort, a few finger lengths.

I do not use a pinch grip, but my middle finger will occasionally rest in the machi area. The average handle to choil distance on my Japanese knives works well for me.

On knives that I studied, the distance varied between 12mm to almost 20mm. On most of my knives started doing (after a feedback suggestion) for the width of my middle finger, approximately 15-16mm. This is one part of the knife that I don't fully understand, so than you for your input.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko, I think that 15-16 mm is a good length for the emotu (neck). If it is much less than 12 mm a pinch grip becomes uncomfortable, and over 20 mm the knife feels awkward.

As an aside, not making the emotu long enough is a major failing of many Western to wa conversions.

Rick
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

My middle finger does rest in/under/around the machi area. But my fingers are long and narrow. lanky guy that I am

I measured some of my knives, 14-16mm is about ideal for me. Also, having the emoto and handle about the same width helps with comfort, maybe the handle slightly wider.

I prefer emotu(neck) around 14~16mm, emotu length less than 12mm or over 18mm become uncomfortable for me....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I think I probably go for aesthetics over comfort on this one, as I like the thin, slender and long look of the Masamoto machi. Not a fan of a heavy, wide machi. Too long is rather awkward, though. I remember handling a few early Fowlers, and it felt like most of my hand was on steel...

so, it sounds and looks like what you're doing is probably right on the button already.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com