PM Stainless #2 Testing Passaround - Near Future Project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in a New Steels Thread, that I am going to try a new PM stainless steel (not CPM154). I finally got the steel and will make a 240mm gyuto out of it, once I come to a good stopping point in my work, and after I sent out the pass-around in 52100.

I would like to invite folks to test it. Testing will be done in two stages - first group of testers will be all pro users, and they will have an opportunity to use the knife in a pro kitchen for 2-3 weeks. After I get some performance feedback, home user folks can join in.

I am also considering doing layered birch bark handle on this knife.

Your input is welcome.

Thanks,

M

Love to be included...home user.

Thanks Marko!

If you will have me I would really like to participate in your passaround as a homey!

I realize I'm fairly new to the forum, but I'd love to be included in the pro passaround. If you're looking to have it go through the regulars here, though, I totally understand.

-Bob

Guys, the guidelines will be same as for my 52100 pass-around. This knife, however, I would like to test more for steel and heat treatment, than geometry, handle, profile, etc. That's the reason why I would like pro folks be in the first group and to give them a 2-3 weeks so they could get a good feel using the knife.

I need this feedback, as I am going to do an experimental heat treatment that should improve performance. I don't use my knives enough to fully test edge retention, so that's why I ask for your help.

I will probably cap the number of people to participate in the pass-around to 10. This is more of a test pass-around than a typical pass-around, so there will be a version 2.0.

M

Marko, I love to try it as home cook, If you will have me!!

I wouldn't mind trying this on as the last pass around disappeared before it got to me.:detective::dontknow:

Home user. Would love to be part of this.

I would love to try out what you have going for a test, pro list.

I'd like to be included. I don't work in a pro kitchen, and it's now off-season for my private chef work; even with that I still don't put a knife through as much use as a pro kitchen user. I use my main kitchen knife 2-4 times per day for various amounts of prep, depending on my mood.

another professional restaurateur here who wouldn't mind throwing his name in the ring.

Can I get in on this? I'd like to try the new stuff out.

Marko, I wouldn't mind getting in this. (pro)

I'd love to participate in this. Pro user here.

Home Boy here - put me on the list when the pros get finished please. I'd love to try your work Marko.

Pro volunteer at at sushi bar here. Only pass around I've tried was Salties Mizuno. Could be fun to try something different.

Hey folks,
sorry, went through my routine again - got a cold, got busy and overwhelmed with work, so the response is a bit belated.

I am going to stop soliciting testers as of this point. I will take a look at all post in this thread and get a list going. It will be at least 2 weeks before this project comes to fruition - I need to send out 52100 passaround first, plus not much spare time at the moment on R&D, but I will get it done eventually.

I will keep this thread current once the carbon passaround is out.

Thanks everybody,

M

SKD12 is equivalent of A2 and is a conventional steel, not PM.

That said, yes, I am offering A2 as a choice, and think it is an excellent steel for certain type (and purposes) of knives.

Still working on HT recipe for PM #2, but preliminary testing puts it all the way up there - it will definitely be a steel I will offer soon, just need to get HT finalized first.

M

Looking forward to the results, and am curious what prompted this, was there something that AEB-L or CMP 154 didn't offer? I would like to get a gyoto in the 210 range in a non reactive steel that my wife could/would use. I was thinking of the AEB-L but now think I will wait:laugh:

The PM#2 is a very promising steel. I would say with a great degree of certainty that it will be offered in the near future. I need a little more time to heat treat and test it, but preliminary results have been very positive. Sharpenability, sharpness, edge stability and wear resistance are its strong points.

M

Marko, is your PM#2 steel similar to DT's PM steel??

Back