Quantcast
Latest handle work - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest handle work

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Have you ever dinged the bolster while rough sanding or shaping? How are you guys shaping the piece of wood right before the bolster? I have done a few handles of my own, they fit very well and look great, but I will be darned if I can get the bolster to look shiny as new. Any thoughts?
    That happens all the time. My trick to get it back to factory finish or a high gloss polish is to use gradually finer sand paper (up to #2000) tightly wrapped around a flat piece of cork on all parts of the handle including the bolster until all scratches are gone. Do NOT hurry this process. Your lazyness will be revealed when polishing!! Then I use an electric drill with a cotton polishing disc with aluminum oxide and 0.25u diamond spray polishing the steel bolster and a special wood polishing compound on the wood and/ or horn parts.

DArKHOeK

awesome handle

rio

Thanks, Rio.

DarkHoeK

How are you forming the hole in the wa handles?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    That happens all the time. My trick to get it back to factory finish or a high gloss polish is to use gradually finer sand paper (up to #2000) tightly wrapped around a flat piece of cork on all parts of the handle including the bolster until all scratches are gone. Do NOT hurry this process. Your lazyness will be revealed when polishing!! Then I use an electric drill with a cotton polishing disc with aluminum oxide and 0.25u diamond spray polishing the steel bolster and a special wood polishing compound on the wood and/ or horn parts.

DArKHOeK
    Thanks, I will give that a try on my next day off.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    How are you forming the hole in the wa handles?
    I start out with drilling 2-3 full depth holes in an angle so they meet at the tang length inside the handle. Slowly and with little speed on the drill emptying the holes often. Then I use a small square shaped rasp file to get rid of what is between the holes. Depending on the wood I either continue with the rasp (burly or knotty woods) or use a 3mm Jp chisel to slowly scrape out material. Occasionally I use the drill to empty the holes for whatever clogs up in the hole. The magic is to use time and go easy. A lot of woods just love to misbehave.

DarKHoek

http://***********************

Thanks! I'm just starting to fit a handle to a blade that I'm making- ebony and maple burl so far...........The tang is 3/32" thick. I have an aircraft drill bit coming in today that is 6 inches long.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig