Quantcast
Blue Aoto vs Green Brick - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Aoto vs Green Brick

i find it odd that shipping is that bad between your countries, since it's literally a stone's throw from each other.

Haven't used both, just the blue aoto from Dave. You can't think of it like a 2k, b/c the finish ends up being much higher. It's also softer and muddier than anything else I've even used, so it took me awhile to figure out how to use it, it its just a really fun stone and does a great job of leaving even finishes over less-than-even grinds. If you get one, get the "jombo" size. Sharpening on it feels like having an empty football stadium all to yourself. It's big, but fragile so I wrapped mine with tissues paper and epoxy and attached a granite base and it's lived in my bucket ever since.

Here's a picture of it dwarfing a Gesshin 4k (not a small stone either):
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Ya I'll probably get that stone eventually too but decided to try the green one first

cant find green bricks anywhere? got any ideas of where to look now

I'd like to reopen this discussion if yal don't mind. I've been sharpening my knives for YEARS and this includes many other cook's and friend's knives also. Have never used natural stones but have been doing a little research the past 6+ months and still can't decipher which one(s) I should get. I thought about the synthetic blue Dave has listed on his site, but the cautions and poor reviews of the stone shattering too easily has made me hesitate. It's mainly the price point that I'm weary of in general regarding natural stones. As in I'm not trying to spend a ton...
    thoughts?

Kind of depends where in your progression you might like to start. If you are looking for 2K-4K would recommend an aoto from Maxsim(japanesenaturalstones.com) or the monzento from Jon (JKI.com), both of which are easy to use and the difference between them and artificial stones is obvious. If you don't end up liking them, you could also probably resell them easily.

for what it's worth, i'm in the same situation as you are.

I use the Green Brick in a progression from 500 Bestor to Green Brick to 5k Rika. If I'm patient with the green brick it will leave a near mirror finish which makes the the Rika unnecessary. In fact I prefer the edge it leaves. I'm not crazy about the feel of the stone, which is not so important, and the feel isn't bad, its just very soft. I don't have experience with the Blue Aoto, though I too have seen it online and been interested in a comparison between the two. I've wanted to put a 1k stone in this progression as the GB is not an extremely fast cutter, but the funds aren't in the budget for new toys right now. And it works without it so...

I guess in my incoherent rambling, I would recommend it, though I think that a better option might be out there, maybe it is the Blue Aoto?

I love the blue aoto xl, been using it as my primary stone which has kept me from investing in a higher grit, though I suspect my single bevels could benefit from a step up, though they see little action. Very soft, very muddy, adapts to your pressure (cuts relatively fast with hard pressure, polishes well with soft pressure),if you are going too fast and not paying attention it is very easy to gouge but also forgiving if you do. I find it to be the exact opposite of shapton glass stones, which is to say I love it and think it's a great all around stone to refine your skills on. The wide sharpening surface is great as well for me. No problems yet with cracking, haven't done anything except keep it soaking and sharpen on a sturdy flat table.

Progression is:

Naniwa Omura if needed (repairs, bevel setting, thinning)
    Bester 700 (bevel refining)
    Blue aoto (setting a good working edge)

Looking to add an akamon xl 1k instead of the bester and perhaps the rika 5k or arashiyama 6k down the road.

I bought Dave's 3 stone set- Beston 500, Bester 1200 and Rika 5000. Great setup, but curious where the blue or green should fit in, or if I even should go that route all together...