Quantcast
Blue Aoto vs Green Brick
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Aoto vs Green Brick

Blue Aoto vs Green Brick

So, my trusted king 1000/6000 fell into the sink and broke.

I'm thinking bester 1200 and either blue aoto or green brick to replace it and be my new sharpening setup.

i don't want more than 2 stones for now. i'm mostly concerned about the upkeep of my gyutos, as i don't use my single bevels nearly as often.

thoughts?

thanks!

-Thiago
    -thiago

Can't say much about a blue aoto, would like to get one myself and may soon, but the green brick is a hell of a stone if you ask me. Large and almost like a aoto in that it will start at a 2k but finish in the 4 or 5k if you ask me. For the money can't really go wrong.

ive never used a green brick but love my blue aoto. it leaves a bite on my konosuke hd while giving it a much cleaner polish than anything ive ever used in the 2k range. it is muddy, very muddy, and delicate. a small drop or mishandling and it could chip or even break. i perma-soak mine and it loves it. the mud, although messy, is what makes this such a wonderful stone. it is one of those stones that you could finish with and end up with a beautiful polish and a wonderful edge that still has enough bite for kitchen knives.

the blue aoto 2k is worth every penny and is in my 3 stone setup along with a beston 500 and arashiyama 6k.

round one: tie

so, they're pretty interchangeable?
    -thiago

one more question: i'm going to get another combo stone to take with me on trips (i'm not a professional cook). it's just easier to sharpen people's knives than bringing my own, specially to avoid checking luggage at the airport. i'm leaning towards another king/ice bear/togiharu 1000/6000. Any other suggestions?
    -thiago

i dont think one is better than the other. from what ive heard about the green brick, its faster while the blue is finer, muddier and softer. they both act as a 3-5k stone so its really just preference from the previously mentioned qualities. i really just bought the blue aoto because i wanted some experience with a really muddy stone. that is what i got for sure. after using it and learning how to work the mud, it became one of my favorite stones. im sure that will happen to you whether you go with blue or green

as for the combo stone, i would think that any of those 1k/6k would be just fine to travel with, just be careful they dont get thrown around too much or you will have a breakage problem

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsignals View Post
    one more question: i'm going to get another combo stone to take with me on trips (i'm not a professional cook). it's just easier to sharpen people's knives than bringing my own, specially to avoid checking luggage at the airport. i'm leaning towards another king/ice bear/togiharu 1000/6000. Any other suggestions?
    A "splash'n'go" might be better for travel. You wouldn't have to worry about drying it out. Maybe a Gesshin 1000, Naniwa Superstone or a Shapton Glassstone and a strop? You'd probably not need a higher grit stone for the sharpening you'd be doing.

Same thing about the 1k6k combos, both are about neck and neck. Also depending on what you're looking to spend the brick is a awesome value at about 40$ and will last a LONG time. But Citizen is right which ever you choose to go with I'm sure you will be happy with. I've thinking about picking up a Aoto just to see the difference myself.

CKTG is out of the green brick. anywhere else i can get it? if not, then the decision will have been made for me.
    -thiago

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsignals View Post
    CKTG is out of the green brick. anywhere else i can get it? if not, then the decision will have been made for me.
    http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13120

+ Reply to Thread