Quantcast
Enamel Dutch Oven
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enamel Dutch Oven

Enamel Dutch Oven

My wife just picked up an enameled Dutch Oven. Anyone have any recipes tips, ect?

We use ours a lot for braises, spaghetti sauce, soups, etc. Give osso buco a try (and make an even better and less expensive version by substituting lamb shanks for veal shanks). it's a great vessel for carmelizing onions for onion soups.

As far as tips go, you generally only need to keep the heat on the low side. Since cast iron tends to heat slowly, people tend to crank up the heat and wind up burning things once the cast iron catches up. Had a relative wreck a Le Creuset a few years back when the beans weren't heating quickly enough so she cranked it up

don't put it in the dishwasher, it dulls the gloss on the enamel...won't hurt it, just won't be as pretty.

I love using mine for rice casserole-type dishes, stews, chili, and deep frying.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

an enamel cast iron dutch oven's strength is not found on a range top (unless it is your deepfryer) ..it really shines in the oven!!

i do all the searing on the cooktop, and brown everything. then i get it all simmering and will put the big pot in a 300-325 degree oven to finish all the cooking. heat coming at your food from all sides will prevent burn spots on the bottom. i gave away all my slow cookers when i started cooking this way. stews, bucco's, beans..everything goes into the oven. no stirring, no fussing..done. there is no better kitchen excitement than when you crack open a slow cooked meal in your dutch oven. the slow bubbling, the house full of good smells, the darkened food splatter on the lid..yum.

Just remember that cast iron is brittle. It will shatter like glass if it hits a terrrazzo floor.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

I have a le creuset and really like it, but I like it even better now that I have have started using my copper heat diffuser with it. I'd also recommend getting a heat-proof replacement knob for the cover if it isn't already oven-ready.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

the regular black knob is heat proof.

the stainless one is more heat proof. i switched because i took mine to 500 deg when i was using it to make bread.

500 would wipe out the black knob. braising, no problems.

Yes... I switched mine too so it could withstand higher temperatures...

I believe one of their new lines has a higher clearance SS knob from the factory...
    Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    the regular black knob is heat proof.

the stainless one is more heat proof. i switched because i took mine to 500 deg when i was using it to make bread.

500 would wipe out the black knob. braising, no problems.
    Right, I think it's rated 425/450F.

Stainless looks nicer too.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Jim,

I strongly suggest this book: http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Brai.../dp/0393052303

It gives a lot of good info on the science behind braising, dos and donts, general recipe composition, and several very good/great recipes.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

+ Reply to Thread