Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veloute

Veloute

can you make a veloute 1 day ahead of time and reheat? Also, can you make without a roux...maybe cornstarch to thicken?

Yes you can definitely make it ahead of time. We make 5 gallon buckets or 3 days worth at a time. I always use roux but I can't see why you couldn't use a slurry. The consistancy and texture will be different but it should be ok.

You can def make it ahead of time. A roux is traditional for a veloute. I wouldn't recommend corn starch, totally different flavor and texture.

What flavour are you making? What quantity? If its only a small amount, thickening with a vegetable purée is a good way to go

Also Xanthum gum is an option if you are ok with that sort of thing
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

thx all

Xanthum gum works great, but I recomend cutting it with a bit of locust bean gum for a less "gel" like consistency. Veg puree is also another terrific method, but of course it depends on what flavor veloute you're making and what you'd be using it for. You can also use rice. Either over cook then add, puree and strain, or add the rice to the stock, cook until soft, puree and strain.
    Cornstarch works also, but kind of leaves that Asian fast food texture and flavor (which isn't always a bad thing!) And remember that cornstarch continues to "hydrate" or thicken even after the liquid has cooled, which just means for a thicker veloute tomorrow.

What kinds of restaurants still make veloute? Serious question. I've been out of the biz a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mzer View Post
    What kinds of restaurants still make veloute? Serious question. I've been out of the biz a while.
    Lots of em. It's one of the 5 mother sauces.

Also about the xanthan gum method. I recommend using ultratex 8 for the thickener and just a touch of xanthan as a stabilizer. Perfect velvety texture, great mouth feel and no snotty consistency.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I still make them, in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Classics- you just can't kill them, but you can "update" them a bit.

Interesting. I wasn't aware it was common outside of culinary schools. I have no problem with it. It just would have been unthinkable anywhere I worked.