Lacquering natural stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmccurtis

Reaction score
I've got a few natural stones that need lacquering, an aoto in particular. I know natural lacquers like cashew are used in Japan, but I don't have anything of the sort. I do have a water based Varathane; does anyone think there would be any problem using that instead? I don't want to order a natural lacquer that I'm not going to use much of.

I use shellac it works fine for me, on Aoto i will take 4 to 5 layers of shellac to be on safe side :)

Thanks Maxim. I definitely plan on giving my aoto multiple coats, there are a couple of crumbly bits on the side that make me a bit nervous. It actually has goma, which I'd never seen on an aoto. They don't seem to make the stone any scratchier, I know that can be an issue on finer stones. Have you ever seen one like that?

i always like clear... that way i can see the stone through it and cracks arent hidden if i want to sell it

Thanks for the link mainaman, but I'm in Canada, so ordering would be expensive. No one thinks Varathane would be an issue though? I can't think of a reason why it would be, but I've only ever heard people refer to using lacquer or shellac. I can get lacquer no problem, though not cashew, but I really don't need a quart of it, which is the smallest container I've found.

i always like clear... that way i can see the stone through it and cracks arent hidden if i want to sell it

Me too, I got a clear one from them.

@ dmccurtis : check with them about the shipping theuy might be willing to send first class which then will be less than 10 USD.

Anyone have tips for applying tissue paper when sealing? I'm sealing a stone now with some tissue paper and hope it works out fine. Last time I did it, I put down a coat of the sealant, put the tissue paper on, rubbed on a dab more sealant to make sure the paper was sticking, let it dry, and then coated with sealant 4 more times (no tissue). The tissue later just broke off of my stone. Do you guys have a way of reinforcing cracks with tissue that has worked well for you?

Thanks. I'll do just the cashew for now. It's for my new Atago, which has 2-3 cracks running parallel to the stone surface and I really wouldn't want this stone to fall apart. I may pick up some of the washi paper later on.

Anyone have tips for applying tissue paper when sealing? I'm sealing a stone now with some tissue paper and hope it works out fine. Last time I did it, I put down a coat of the sealant, put the tissue paper on, rubbed on a dab more sealant to make sure the paper was sticking, let it dry, and then coated with sealant 4 more times (no tissue). The tissue later just broke off of my stone. Do you guys have a way of reinforcing cracks with tissue that has worked well for you?

I got some waterbased lacquer from 330mate. A small bottle of sticky stuff that I thinned with water. It dries to a clear coat. On my Aoto I used some fiber paper (i had it for cleaning skis :) ) and used one layer of lacquer, let it dry and applied the fiber paper with another tqo layers. Works perfect.

DarkHOeK

Back