Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handle remove

Handle remove

Hi guys. I am rehandling my suisin densyo yanagiba and kono hd and I can't remove the handles. I tried many ways even Maxim's but i think that they may be glued in. Any suggestions?? I want to try something else before I will sand them on the belt sander.

There is glue in HD I just rehandled mine. I got it off the Maxim does his, but the ferrule cracked in the process. My Yoshihiro I had to wrap in cardboard, chuck in my vise and chisel off. I quarter the handle from the butt end and continue if necessary. I had to chisel the handle off my Tanaka as well when I did that.

Sometimes they just won't come off and applying too much force isn't good. Smash them in a vice

Make sure you use a sharp chisel if you go that route. The Ho is quarter cut and should split with just a sharp tap.

Is there a way to get them off without destroying the handle? Say if you want to use the removed handle on a different knife?
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys. I don't care about kono hd but i like suisin handle. I think that i will sand them on belt sander. Chisels will damage them anyway.

cwrightthruya you can use same technique as maxim. I can't find his video but there is mine as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg3RpeoVO1w

Sadly, I've broken 2 handles/ferrules using that technique on glued handles. This only seems to work if the handles are "burned in" with no epoxy. And I have a custom handle that I need to remove, one that if I shattered would make me cry.
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

You see that handle on my video was glued in. It was Fu-rin-ka-zan nakiri. Unfortunately i had to grind off handle on the suisin. It was the best traditional handle i've ever seen and i really liked it:/ Can you burn hole in the stabilised wood or it's better to not try it??

Sealing the handle in a bag and then immersing in boiling water may soften the epoxy enough to make it easier to tap off. The heat may not be friendly to the wood though, maybe worth a try before smashing it

Hey TB your idea was great. I regret that I didn't know that yesterday when i was sanding off suisin handle. I've puted handle into the bag and then boiled it for a while... nothing. Then i removed bag and boiled handle. It took me maybe half hour and i smashed my handle remove wood but i took it off. Very good way to save handles. Will definitely use it in the future. Thanks