Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handle remove

How long in the boiling water? I have a glued on handle I want to remove, but try to save. Would cutting the overflow glue from the handle and tang help any? What about some type of solvent like acetone?

I just have drown handle in to the water for minute holding the heel to check temperature. Then i've used maxim way to remove the handle. It took several times of drowning and hammering. I've destroyed piece of wood and it took me maybe 30 hour. But it is possible.

So you couldn't save the handle?

I'm really hoping to save this one. The epoxy is all globbed up at the entry point, so I started "chipping" away at it with an exacto knife to get the runout off enforce I try. Also going to try some type of solvent. Has anyone tried anything to dissolve the epoxy/ glue? I'm not sure what it is.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Oh no i saved the handle. I meant piece of wood which i am using to remove the handle. I've put the video few post earlier. I was hammering so much that i destroyed it but i've saved the handle

If the solvent softens the epoxy it'll likely soak into the wood and may interfere with any attempt to re epoxy it on. Most Epoxies are sufficiently temperature sensitive that heating weakens it enough to remove. I was removing the scales on a full tang and heated for 5 minutes, after which the pins were easy to knock through and the scales popped off without any damage. A hidden tang will take longer for the heat to penetrate I'd imagine.

I can only tell you that if you want to unglue super glue (CA) the you can use de-bonder. Easy to buy in model building shops. I was building models and used it many times.