Quantcast
Chopsticks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chopsticks

Chopsticks

I want to start trying cooking with chopsticks. I use them to eat a lot, but only the cheap carryout kind. What are your recomendations for plating and while cooking?

Thanks
    Joe
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I had moribashi but sold them to a forum member because I found them to be too slippery. Probably more my fine motor skills. Maybe the guy I sold them too will chime in.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

http://korin.com/Kitchenware_2/Kitchen-Utensils_2

scroll down the page they have cooking and plating in wood..

i use 13 in. wood for cooking [my son brought ne 2 sets from japan] i use them all the time and.....

i have 2 sets of moribashi one from Jon at JKI and a pair brought from japan..
    i would start with wood before investing in fancy moribashi , i have considerable fine motor skills and i find them hard to use .but they sure look nice on display with the knives . i think the learning curve would not be helpful in a commercial kitchen

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to definitely start using them at home first, till I develope the skill and muscle memory for when things get crazy at work.

I'm thinking of ordering a few different ones and different lengths from korin. Being that cheap, why not spend the 20 and try different ones out.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by lowercasebill View Post
    .... , i have considerable fine motor skills...
    I really, really hope so!!!
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

If I might be so bold, I keep a set of these in my bag and find it gets me pretty much all the way there.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee...ords=moribashi

The plastic handle makes a very good heat sink, the tips are textured which is very helpful for frying, and at this cost I wouldn't weep if I lost them.

I use a pair of moribashi for finishing details on some dishes, but I'm in a 30 seat fine diner. I wouldn't be able to keep up in a busy place haha

I sometimes practice moving single grains of rice or sea salt flakes..... But I'm weird
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I have a pair I bought during a trip to Japan. I try to use it on the line sometimes, but its hard to work quickly with them. Still, its an open kitchen so its nice to have them out and put on a little show sometimes, haha.

I have a couple of pair of wood ones: one thats about 13-14" and a bit thicker than usual chopsticks; the other is about 9-10" and the usual thickness but with grooves carved in about 1/4" apart on the last 3".

The latter are MUCH better for cooking. I use them for things like turning each cube of meat individually when browning meat for stew or chili...for manipulating doughnuts, eggrolls, fish, etc. When Im deep-frying.

I really like them, but havent found wide use for them.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    I use a pair of moribashi for finishing details on some dishes, but I'm in a 30 seat fine diner. I wouldn't be able to keep up in a busy place haha

I sometimes practice moving single grains of rice or sea salt flakes..... But I'm weird
    That's a good kung fu practice. Try quail egg sometimes, :-)

+ Reply to Thread