Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

What to do?

Hello. Today one guy has sent me his ZDP-189 knife. I thought that it will be easy but after close examination i have noticed that it is not straight what is not a problem. The problem is with grind. I think that it is 90/10 knife.

Red arrows show original primary bevel (or shinogi). The rest is a bevel which was grinded later. Guy who send me that knife said that it was like this before and that he sharpened it on diamonds (i think that it was diamond rod or something). Green arrow indicates lower spot on the edge. Other site of the knife does not have a bevel like this. It only have original bevel marked with red arrows.

Here you can see overgrind on the heel.

What would you suggest me to do? I was thinking about lifting shoulder of additional bevel (made with diamonds) to that shinogi line and make it even. Then sharpen it.

You can see that knife here. It's in the middle of the page:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html
    ZDP-189 Santoku.

If you need any other pictures then let me know.

That knife needs to be reprofiled and reground on a grinder.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

hmmm. That's bad. I've got a belt sander but I've never done that before. Any suggestion how to do it??

You would be better off sending to somebody who has done this before, or in other words, a knife maker who will do this repair for you.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Ok anyway what would you do if you had to explain that in words?? is it similar to thinning behind the edge, make the cutting edge even and then sharpen?? Maybe I will try to do that if this guy agree.

Personally I would sharpen the knife with an angle of 15 degrees until you get rid of the flat spot. It will be all wobbly above the edge but it will be sharp. If you can even out the grind on the stones or with a machine, then that would be the second step.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    That knife needs to be reprofiled and reground on a grinder.

M
    Yeah looks the same to me as well.

Wow, I don't claim to know anything about sharpening, but that is messed up, and ZDP no doubt...good luck.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    That knife is whacked out! Good luck man!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

use it as a cleaver